London, 21st Century. The Earth is in the grip of an energy crisis, and the Globe Sphere
Corporation plans to solve the problem with solar panels on the moon that will beam solar energy to collection points all over the world. The Doctor detects an energy reading that shouldn't exist in that time period and goes to investigate. As the title of the story would suggest, the Daleks are behind the whole thing, and supplying the Earth with energy is not their actual goal...
- Arch-Enemy: The Doctor and the Daleks, of course.
- Continuity Nod: To various older Dalek stories. They convert humans into Robomen (The Dalek Invasion of Earth) and practice more limited mind control on others (Terrell from "The Evil of the Daleks").
- The Daleks cut through a door while the Doctor and his companions try to find a way to escape the room before they get in. ("The Daleks")
- Fix Fic: A licensed example: author Nicholas Briggs wanted the fourth Doctor to get a "proper" Dalek story, with no Davros to steal the show, hence this story.
- Kill All Humans: The Daleks are a time traveling hit squad, sent back to destroy humanity in the past for challenging the Daleks in the future.
- Mind Probe: Used by the Daleks on Leela. Despite the fact that she fights them, they are able to learn that the Doctor is in the vicinity.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future