The First Doctor, Steven and Sara Kingdom experience a collision with another time ship and are stranded on an island with the crew of the other craft. The TARDIS appears to have been destroyed...
- Declaration of Protection: Steven is often motivated by his desire to protect Sara.
- Deserted Island: Where the crew of the time ship and the TARDIS crew appear to be after the crash in the vortex.
- East Germany: Steven and Sara end up here for part of the story.
- Mistaken for Spies: Not as much of a cliche as it could be, considering the environment of East Germany in the Cold War.
- Role Reprisal: Peter Purves and Jean Marsh play their Doctor Who characters from back in the 60s, during the third season of the original program. The characters are meant to be the same age now as they were then, which the actors can just about get away with because of the audio-only format.
- Switching P.O.V.: The story is set up in four episodes. One and three are narrated by Steven, while two and four are from Sara's point of view.
- Talking to Himself: Typical of Companion Chronicles, which are essentially audiobooks read by an actor. In this story, Peter Purves plays his character Steven Taylor, and Jean Marsh plays Sara Kingdom, but both also play other characters in addition to simply narrating events. Purves does a good imitation of William Hartnell's Doctor.