Recap: Batman: The Animated Series E44 "Day of the Samurai"
aka: Batman The Animated Series Day Of The Samurai
- Awesome by Analysis:
- During a conversation with Alfred, Bruce reveals that Kyodai Ken can pull this — evidently, "fighting styles are like fingerprints," and since Kyodai has fought both Bruce Wayne and Batman, he's worked out that they're the same guy by examining their fighting technique.
- Batman survives the Touch of Death by analyzing Kyodai Ken's training dummy, noting where it has been struck the most, and wearing extra armor on the same spot.
- Back for the Dead: Kyodai Ken doesn't get away this time. Or survive. Not Batman's fault, though.
- The Bus Came Back: Kyodai Ken makes his return in this episode.
- Chekhov's Volcano
- Continuity Nod: Kairi Tanaga, Yoru's star pupil who Kyodai Ken kidnaps, later appears as an old lady and sensei in Batman Beyond.
- Convection Schmonvection: Bruce Wayne battles Kyodai Ken on an erupting volcano. The climax of the fight comes when they are separated on the rocks and Wayne throws a rope for the ninja to catch, thinking that if he jumps while he pulls he could make it. The ninja kicks the rope away, but not before giving a look that both says "I don't want your help" and almost looks as though he is thinking "Please, don't be so stupid."
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Kyodai Ken steals a scroll in Japan that teaches him the secret of a "deadly touch" technique. When Batman faces him off in the end, he tries to avoid being touched by him in a specific spot, which (theoretically) would cause instant death. He fails and falls down, seemingly dead. He then gets up and knocks out the ninja. When asked if the technique was bullshit, he pulls out a metal plate from under his suit, which has been deformed by a strong force.
- Graceful Loser: At the climax of their duel, Bruce Wayne and Kyodai are separated when the ledge they're fighting on breaks in two, leaving Kyodai stranded on a narrow precipice in a sea of magma. After rejecting Bruce's offer of help, Kyodai actually gives Bruce a respectful bow before being killed by a lava geyser.
- Hand Seals: Kyodai Ken frequently uses this.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Kyodai Ken's previous episode is called "Night of the Ninja"; this one is titled "Day of the Samurai".
- Martial Arts Uniform
- Pressure Point: The episode revolves around a martial art called Kiba no Hoko (The Way of the Fang), which uses precise strikes against pressure points. Batman's foe, Kyodai Ken learned its most fatal technique, the Oonemuri Touch.
- Tattooed Crook: The ninja thief Kyodai-Ken has a huge tattoo of a Japanese demon's head on his back.
- Touch of Death: The Oonemuri Touch. Kyodai apparently learns it.