Recap: Bait and Switch
A power surge in the middle of one of Reed's experiments causes the team to swap powers and a few personality traits, causing amusing and poignant situations. But was the surge an accident, or is someone looking to get the FF again?
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Always Wanted To Say That: Combined with Borrowed Catchphrase. Apparently Reed has always wanted to use Ben's catchphrase.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Reed, thanks to having gotten Ben's powers. He breaks several things over the course of the episode.
- The Dragon: Lucia von Bardin.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Reed sarcastically says, "You're welcome" when a lady insults him after he rescues her.
- Heroic Sacrifice: a non-fatal one, twice. Reed intends to let Ben keep his powers and for him to keep Ben's, which will be problematic for Reed but allow Ben to remain "more human". At the end, Ben sacrifices this opportunity to save his teammates from a Doombot.
- Hypocritical Humor: During Reed's experiment, Susan rebukes Ben and Johnny for not having more faith that it won't Go Horribly Wrong...and then asks Reed if it's safe for them to come out from behind her shield.
- In Another Man's Shoes: the team experiences various problems that the others go through. This is most obvious with Reed, who experiences how much control Ben has to exert and how little reward people sometimes give him.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Susan after she fries two Doombots. "All right, I know I shouldn't say this, but that was hot."
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Johnny manages to stop himself directly above the ground. He's not hurt at all.
- Personality Swap: a minor bit. For instance, this incident after Ben gets flattened because he forgot he now has Reed's powers.Ben: I'm okay. Though I kind of feel like chewed gum.Susan: (chuckling) Yeah, you look like it too! (puzzled) Oh, that wasn't very nice.Johnny: Susan Storm, respect Ben's feelings! *gasps* Please tell me I didn't just say that!
- Powers as Programs: a main element of the plot.
- Power Incontinence: the Four throughout the episode. Johnny fades in and out, Susan "flames on" whenever startled, Reed breaks several things, and Ben has trouble retracting his limbs.
- Tempting Fate: Susan lampshades it: "Okay, I shouldn't say this, but things can't get any worse."
- Ungrateful Jerk: the little old lady Reed saves. Instead of thanking him for keeping the runaway bus from flattening her, she comments on how ugly his face is.