Radar / The Brave Little Toaster
Take a closer look at what he is holding.
(Edited late-90s version.)
Here's the original scandalous photo, still getting past the radar in some versions.
- In one scene, the TV, playing up his Insane Proprietor act, pulls some pictures out of a cabinet (making up a scandal about a "competitor"). They're pictures of a topless woman with star pasties, but they're only visible for a split second. In certain reissues in the late 90s and beyond, the pasties have become a slightly more modest top and the breasts have shrunk, so that didn't get past the radar entirely.
- In the song "Worthless", the beach car originally sings the line "there were bikinis and buns, there were weenies". While it could just be reading too much into it, in the official soundtrack the line is changed to "there were bikinis and hot dogs and weenies", so apparently someone higher up caught on to the Double Entendre.The whole beach car segment is full of innuendo. It's about the rise of the surfer culture and sexual freedom, under the threat of nuclear war. Fellini refers to Federico Fellini, who is known for movies such as Satyricon and Casanova. And you can probably guess what the line 'I had a hand in the lay of the land' refers to.
- The radio says "damn" and "hell" when quoting Moby Dick. Double Standard, but still jarring in a family film.
- The reel-to-reel tape player in the parts shop, whose reels resemble something else.
- One of the most subtle, ingenious examples is this exchange:
Blanky: (to Kirby) You can't fool us! We love you!
Radio: Like Mrs. Roosevelt loved her husband.
- For those unaware of American politics, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was rumored to be in a lesbian relationship with a friend.
- Air Conditioner's line. "Hey, I'm real scared, Kirby. Whaddya gonna do, suck me to death?"
- During "City of Light," Kirby momentarily goes behind a tree to dump his vacuum bag, and Toaster scolds Blanky for watching. It's obviously supposed to resemble a different kind of "dump."
- In one scene in a sequel, a computer has its memory searched through and his reaction is very orgasmic.
Computer: "Ooh! That feels sort of good!"
Mouse: "What does?"
Computer: "My memory banks are being stroked and by an expert. I feel something. Something happening inside me. And I can't keep it to myself any longer!"
(The computer starts to ejaculate paper)