Radar: The Amazing World of Gumball
"Thanks Gumball!" "Whatever man."
In the grand tradition of a lot of Cartoon Network
shows from the late-1990s into the 21st century, this show freely pushes its TV-Y7 for fantasy violence (FV) rating to its limit, despite that Cartoon Network
now allows the TV-PG rating (mostly for violence, mild cursingnote
, and suggestive humor/dialogue) on some of their daytime shows note
. Whether the TY-Y7-FV rating on this show is a mistake or if the content really isn't strong enough to justify a TV-PG ratingnote
is best left debated among viewers.
For now, just enjoy the crap that got past the radar.
open/close all folders
- The "baby sitter" Richard almost hired in is named Albert the Pervert◊ in the concept art. Some concept art shows him as a pair of underwear, with an unsavory grin. Had the animators actually used the underwear design, his line about wanting to sit on Anais would have been very disturbing.
- Darwin kisses Gumball while they were drowning. Granted, it was to give him air, but he does it even though Gumball was clearly not okay with it.
- Gumball has an Imagine Spot that he and Darwin are married... and he's surrounded by cat/fish babies while Darwin comes home and yells, "I WANT MORE KIDS!" What really crosses the line with that scene is not only are they both children, but they're also both siblings through adoption.
- Gumball makes a Mustache-Sausage
How about a hot dog? They’re delicious! [His fake mustache falls off his face and lands on the hot dog, which he holds out to Doughnut Sheriff] Doughnut Sheriff: [disgusted]
Ughh... There’s a mustache on your sausage! Gumball:
Yeah, it’s our secret ingredient! [Gumball and Darwin wink at camera] Doughnut Sheriff:
I think I’ll go for something without hair.
- Following this metaphor, the episode becomes a bit weird when Richard starts licking the mustache-sausage and Nicole uses it to turkey-slap a man unconscious.
- And if you listen to that scene with your eyes closed... OH GOD
- Mr. Robinson explains to Gumball and Darwin how he and his wife would argue, sometimes six times a day, sometimes in public, even once in their sleep! Anyone who is or was married or in a similar long-term committed relationship will recognize what he is really talking about.
- Gumball, Darwin, and Anais accidentally take their Dad's 'supplements' that he was going to use to impress his wife (and make his man-boobs stick up).
- Gumball runs through the girls' shower room to escape Tina.
- Nicole and her family go to a paintball arena for a family outing. Outside of the arena, there's a sign◊ that lists the types of events they can cover, including "stag" and "hen" parties (both are antiquated slang terms for bachelor and bachelorette parties).
- During one of Gumball's tirades about Leslie, a long list of insults includes "self-pollinating." If you know anything about reproduction in flowers and plants, he basically just called Leslie a jack-off.
- From the end of the episode
- Mr. Small's "herbal tea" gives him some adverse effects; most notably towards the end of the episode, where after taking a sip his eyes begin to get weird and his face gets all loose.◊ After Gumball and Darwin leave, Mr. Small proceeds to let out a "WOO-HOO!", like that "herbal tea" is more enjoyable than it should be...
- When Darwin is raiding Joe's locker, he pulls out a jockstrap and tells Gumball to chew on it. Neither addresses what it actually is, but Gumball looks at it with absolute disgust, and then he pretends to chew on it when he obviously is not and does not want to.
- Darwin chews up Joe's pen from the locker. Later in the episode Joe says it's an heirloom his ancestor used and "I'm not even gonna tell you where he had to hide it to keep it safe", then Darwin starts wiping his tongue in disgust.
- Gumball silences a firecracker by sitting on it. Then he coughs up smoke, making clear that even if the thing itself didn't go up there, the explosion did.
- "Gumball and Darwin are delivering a pizza to a couple of pizza-headed people, which they apparently consider to be their new child. As the father is paying Gumball, he accidentally drops the box while reaching for the money he gives them, which completely horrifies the couple◊. Even worse, Darwin slips on the "dead" pizza baby as they run away, further smearing its tomato sauce, or, as the pizza couple see it, blood, on the concrete.
- When one of the reality-warping waves inverts everyone's gender (turning Anais and Nicole male and Gumball, Darwin, and Larry female), girl Larry has little cube breasts.
- While Clayton is disguised as Principal Brown, Miss Simian seduces and almost makes out with him.
- In the electroshock therapy scene (only seen in the United Kingdom version of this episode), Gumball confesses to kissing Sussie while under the influence of dental painkillers.
- The entire part where Bobert is in the nurse's office with fire coming out of his butt, telling the nurse it's been happening ever since, "[I] fell in love with Your Mom," and making out with the wall defibrillator.
- Bobert's picture equation written on the school football field: "Glasses + horse's ass = Principal Brown."
- Miss Simian trying to warm up in the walk-in freezer by hugging a shirtless Gumball. Lampshaded when she says, "I'm sorry, Gumball. I know this is inappropriate, but I just need to warm up."
- A bee appears and Gumball hides himself from it in Nicole's skirt.
- During the party montage, Gumball funnels Idaho with a soda bong.
- When Gumball doesn't want to go along with Carmen's plan with making Alan jealous, he actually states that he is not a "cheap, corruptible bimbo", and it was very likely that the slang definition was what he meant. This got changed into "coward" in US airings though, which doesn't make sense within the context of the story.
- Alan the balloon explains to Gumball that his knot, the only orifice his body has, is used to breath, eat, and excrete. In a later scene (pictured above), Gumball has to "inflate" Alan in the school bathroom. Alan's knot deflates slightly, causing it to moving upward in a rather questionable manner just before the scene skips to them then leaving the bathroom. Gumball has a disgusted look on his face while Alan has an incredibly happy look on his.
- Gumball and Darwin offer Tobias a hug in the locker, but they're both wearing nothing but towels, so he refuses. The two then tackle him to try and force him, and eventually Darwin takes Tobias's towel and spanks him with it in the middle of the school corridor.
- Gumball tries to enter the Internet by scanning himself without his clothes on. It doesn't work, but it does give Darwin a nice (high definition!) close up photo of Gumball's privates. Afterwards, Darwin tries to wash his eyes out.
- The Internet tells Gumball and Darwin to "get bent", a phrase that's usually considered at least moderately profane (it's generally considered short for "get bent over and take it up the ass"). It was one of the many catch-phrases of Bart Simpson in the early days of The Simpsons when it garnered controversy over Bart's behavior.
- Sarah makes a video and song about her stalking Darwin and Gumball. It mentions and shows some very creepy, fairly suggestive behavior:
- Staring at Gumball through the window while he was undressing
- Watching them while hiding inside their closet
- Looking at them, trying to nuzzle Gumball's hair, and taking pictures of them while they're unconscious
- Standing around in the bathroom while Darwin takes a shower
- Wearing some of Gumball's clothing and enthusiastically smelling others
- When Ms. Simian zips up Banana Joe's peel, some of his "banana" gets stuck in the zipper, prompting a very painful looking reaction◊, reminiscent of that one scene in There's Something About Mary...
- Gumball's and Darwin's (and everyone else's) behavior looks eerily similar to a drug trip (though it's supposed to be a parody of zombie movies).
- Ms. Simian has a poster in her office that says "Say No To Racism" (which is odd, considering that Miss Simian punched out Tobias, who wasn't infected by the Joy virus, just because he was multicolored and could be "one of them"). Granted, they make it clear that racism is a bad thing, but to acknowledge that it even exists, in a Y7-rated show no less, is pretty surprising.
- There's a discussion where Gumball basically tells Darwin that, if they were a couple, he would be the one with the pants in their relationship.:
Gumball: We have to do it exactly like they did!
Darwin: Does that mean I have to wear a mustache and we should, you know, kiss?
Gumball: Ehh, no. And for the record, I would be the one with the mustache.
- The episode in general is almost ridiculously dark:
- It begins with Anton being disintegrated in the pool and falling to pieces in Gumball's hands as he tries to revive him, causing a horrified reaction from almost everyone present.
- When Anton comes back the next day, Darwin and Gumball try to figure out how by hurting him in incredibly over-the-top ways, including slicing him into pieces with a paper shredder, inducing a heart-attack by shock, and tricking Tobias into eating him alive. These seem only slightly worse than the show's usual Amusing Injuries, until it revealed Anton actually died and was replaced with a clone all those times, as well as every time before this episode.
- Darwin and Gumball start making their own clones and it gets even worse: Darwin mentions he accidentally caused his half of the clones to commit mass suicide, and Gumball almost does the same to the rest.
- The evil clone turns the sprinklers on to turn the remaining clones to mush, before himself getting sucked down the pool drain and torn apart by the grate.
- One of the cardboard cutout people from "The Sweaters" tries to get his change out from another one's back pockets. However, they both have their arms frozen in place above their head, so the one going for said change ends up suggestively poking his face around the other one's butt.
- Similar to the herbal tea drinking in "The Banana" is how Mr. Small's explains how he's so good at navigating the crazy otherworldly dimension of the world's mistakes: he's "used to feeling spaced out."
- Gumball was under the impression that Richard loves and favors Anais so much that they finish each other sentences, which Darwin incorrectly interjects with "Sandwiches". Then it cuts to Anais letting Richard finish her sandwich, which leads to Gumball...
Sandwiches as well?! Aw man, this is total
...*gestures at Darwin to finish*
* beat* Gumball:
*sigh* Darwin: SENTENCES!
- After Penny cracked the part over her eye, she, Gumball and Darwin stand on the porch to her house. Preparing to tell Penny's father what happened, Penny and Gumball stand faced to each other and wobble their tongues. When Penny's father comes out, he catches them, and looking from the angle where Penny's back is facing him, it looked to him is if they were french kissing.
- Gumball walks in on Banana Joe watching a video of an orange being peeled, which to him is obviously supposed to be like porn. Banana Joe has a box of tissues right next to his laptop.
- A weeping Gumball asks Darwin if it's weird that he thinks about Penny "all the time, even in the bathroom". Gumball most likely didn't mean that in a dirty way, but it immediately comes to mind anyway.
- A license plate on a car Penny passes seems to read "X23 TU░" (which is what most license plates in the show say) but mirrored backward, which makes it look like it reads "BUT SEX". It should be noted, however, that a lot of the cars in Elmore (including Miss Simian's car and the Doughnut Sheriff's squad car) seen in past episodes have this as a license plate.
- Darwin attempts to make a chocolate fountain by pumping chocolate through a pipe in a wall; the results looks like a backfiring septic tank. Gumball tries to get Penny to eat what came out, to her visible disgust.
- Gumball's says the word "damnation", though in the literal sense rather than a profane one (preferring a "life of damnation in limbo" to watching a home shopping channel).
- The Snatcher/Carrie's dad unceremoniously falls out a window and dies (to his benefit).
- Richard delivers a parody of Jules's "I double-dare you, motherfucker" speech from Pulp Fiction to Louie for dating his mother, except he calls him a "mother robber".
- Granny Jojo had her 63rd birthday in this episode. It's also stated Richard's dad left them 42 years ago, and that he was old enough to remember him. If you do the math, that implies Richard was conceived when his mother was about 15-17 years old.
- Gumball and Darwin have a G-Rated Drug trip after eating cereal through the eye. Gumball wakes up in a ballerina tutu and Darwin wakes up handcuffed with a tattoo on his butt. Special note for how said handcuffs are covered in red fuzz, which very specifically implies they're the kind of handcuffs used for sexual bondage and not the kind the police use to restrain criminals.
- Gumball writes a "2D-ist" comment under Alan's name on ElmorePlus about how "drawn people" should go back to their flat country and stop ruining the economy.
- Gumball makes Alan out to be a cheater in front of Carmen by showing pictures of Alan (actually Darwin's face on a green balloon) kissing female students, male students, and a toilet. And while the photo of Leslie enjoying his kiss, unlike everyone else was cut out of the original broadcast, a few frames of it can still be seen if you pause at the right time.
- The slow motion close-ups on Alan eating meatballs are slightly... disturbing. It's even worse if you've seen The Storm already.
- Darwin spills coffee on Gumball. Darwin cools him by inhaling air while Gumball puts his butt directly in front of Darwin's face and makes a very relieved expression. Marvin passes by and comments that "I don't know what you're doing, but you should be ashamed of it!"