So you want to write a story
"Fifteen minutes long...
...because you're in a hurry...
...and we're not that smart!
I'm Brandon! I'm Dan! I'm Mary!
And I'm Howard!"
? Well you're in luck. Writing Excuses
is a weekly podcast
by Brandon Sanderson
, Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary
, Dan Wells
, and Mary Robinette Kowal
—formerly a recurring guest host
and now an official full-time host as of Season 6. Updated every Sunday, each week's episode focuses on a particular aspect of the writing process, from brainstorming
to getting published
, usually responding to particular obstacles that are common for beginning and improving writers. Naturally, numerous tropes have been touched upon along the way, discussed in terms of how to use them to make your book better
and avoiding bad writing. Often a guest host (usually a recently-published author or a personal/professional friend of one of the authors with ties to the writing world) will join the quartet for an episode or two to add outsider input as well. The series also features a Book of the Week
for listeners to read which is often pertinent to the topic being discussed. Or sometimes it's just one of their own books
. They gotta make money somehow
Each podcast is around fifteen minutes long
, not more than twenty. Usually
there are also suggested writing prompts to practice with, especially in the later seasons.
In June 2014, they released Shadows Beneath
, an anthology of the stories they brainstormed in seasons 7 and 8, with the intent of showing the process of moving from a first draft to a finished story.
The podcast home page is here
.The TV Tropes discussion forum about it is here
This podcast has discussed the following tropes:
open/close all folders
This season also had two bonus episodes:
Season 9 In Progress
- Episode 1 - Chronology of a Book Deal with Eric James Stones
- Episode 2 - Hard Science Fiction with Eric James Stone
- Episode 3 - Character Perception vs. Narrative Perception with Nancy Fulda
- Episode 4 - Artificial Intelligence with Nancy Fulda
- Episode 5 - Hijacking the Knowledge You Already Have, with Mette Ivie Harrison
- Episode 6 - The Experience of Time
- Episode 7 - Last Pass Revisions with Eric James Stone
- Episode 8 - When is your Handwavium Good Enough?
- Episode 9 - What to do When Truth is Stranger than Fiction
- Episode 10 - Engaging Characters
- Episode 11 - Microcasting
- Episode 12 - Microcasting! Twice in a row!
- Episode 13 - Three Pronged Character Development
- Episode 14 - How to have an Opinion as a Public Figure
- Episode 15 - Becoming a Writer — Full Disclosure
- Episode 16 - Coming up with a New Ending Halfway Through
- Episode 17 - Microcasting
- Episode 18 - Microcasting
- Episode 19 - Showing Emotion
- Episode 20 - Creator vs Creation
- Episode 21 - Sanderson's 3rd Law
- Episode 22 - Microcasting
The podcast has demonstrated the following tropes:
Brandon: This has been Writing Excuses! You're out of excuses. Now, go write!