-The Podtaku Cast
"Warning! The following audio may contain coarse language...
And other material that may not be suitable for a younger audience.
Listener discretion is advised.
-Disclaimer before every episode, narrated by TristanPodtaku was a web-based podcast series that revolves around a group of anime critics that "gather around an invisible table on the internet and discuss their opinions on Anime and Otaku culture".Founded in 2012 when Youtube anime critic Tristan Gallant (GRArkada) asked fellow critics Holden Bremley (HoldenReviews), Garnt Maneetapho (gigguk) and Jeanne (xdisturbedjeans) to discuss the '12 Anime Fall Charts, the series has come to enjoy wide-spread success across the internet. They have been the main co-hosts of the show for a year, with the two guests making appearances when a member of the main cast could not make the recording session.In September 25th 2013, the Podtaku cast launched J-Taku, a separate podcast of singular topics devoted to anime, which was developed with the help of several other reviewers.On January 10th 2016, it was announced that Podtaku would be ending and that there would be no more episodes of Podtaku or J-Taku henceforth. The final video contains messages from the cast of Podtaku and J-Taku, and can be found here.The Youtube shows can be found here. Its Twitter account can be found here. It is also available on iTunes for free downloading.
Podtaku contains examples of:
- Butt Monkey: Jean is this, considering all of her Jean Fails
- Jimi is this for J-Taku
- Catch Phrase: The above quote is one of the show's trademark quotes, next to the Shout-Out marathons that they have in every episode. Said phrase has been used in many applications to anime, such as:
- "IT'S SHIT!": The generic tag used for series that Podtaku Cast find to be either mediocre or below average. Examples include Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist, Oreimo...
- "THE SHIT": This label is used to describe series that the Cast holds in high regard, such as Fate/Zero.
- Legend of Galactic Heroes - averted. Holden describes it as "actually pretty fuckin' good"' when Tristan is at a loss for a description.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Anyone who has heard the show with a pair of working ears will tell you that they curse explicitly in every episode! They even warn the audience of this at the beginning of every episode.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Conner created the J-Taku Theme.
- Shout-Out: Invoked in several of the episodes. Shoutouts have ranged from Even Stevens, family members and Holden's Asshole.
- Trope Namers: Invoked. All refer to tropes on this site in almost every episode to describe various aspects of anime-related subjects.