"Welcome to Nerd to the Third, you one stop shop for all the latest nerd news!"
—Taka (actually Takahata from Team Four Star) — intro for the first few seasons
Nerd to the Third Power is a podcast hosted on That Guy with the Glasses
, about all things in the geek universe, though most prominently films, anime, video games, comic books, table top gaming and conventions. The main two hosts are Dr. Gonzo and The Cat (later joined by Skyblaze) with a rotating cast of other correspondents. The current roster includes Multiverse Bryan doing comic book news, Projectionist Jon in films, and Brendan the Blastseeker doing tabletop games.
The general format tends to follow an "Ask A Geek" segment where the hosts answer questions submitted by listeners, a weekly news section where each correspondant talks about the latest happenings in their particular field of expertise, and a discussion section about a topic of their choice, ranging from recent movie releases to more general topics, like parody or AI.
The show is nearing it's 100th episode, part of which will be a live Ask a Geek to be held in late September.
- Berserk Button: Gonzo does not like it when Cliff Blezsinski talks to the gaming press. He's also not too fond of Sarah Jessica Parker or Sex and the City.
- One of Us: With a title like that, duh.
- Skyblaze is said to be the geekiest of the cast though. The running joke is that if anyone in geekdom has passed through England's borders, she's met them. She insists otherwise.
- Keep an eye out, you might find Dr. Gonzo lurking around TV Tropes!
- Proud to Be a Geek
- Running Gag: Jon gets thrown in the Pain Glove whenever he makes an especially bad pun. It's gotten to the point where he says he simply moved in.
- Cat's news segments are often referred to as "The Obituaries" because of her frequent reports on deaths in the anime industry.
- Gonzo used to open every episode with a video game quote, but he's since stopped. His new thing is "You might be a geek" jokes, but those have slipped off as well.
- Schedule Slip: Updates can often become rather scattered and infrequent, though when it does come back, the hosts always apologize. The show DOES take a regular monthly hiatus between seasons.
- This reached its nadir in late 2012, when Dr. Gonzo suffered a severe emotional breakdown.
- Shout-Out: The cast will namedrop particularly fun fans in the show.
- King of Kobolds got a few shout outs in the early days for a comment he made in the first episode lambasting the show's lack of a tabletop segment at the time.
- Facebook user Bheema Da Cashman gets frequent namedrops for being especially active on the show's Facebook page.
- The Smurfette Principle: For quite some time the Cat was the only female (though she was co-host with Dr. Gonzo) until Skyblaze came onto the scene. And of course, averted in the "Girls Only" episode which invited some female guest stars in.
- Token British Person: Skyblaze hails from the UK.