Podcast / Marek vs. Wyshynski
Jeff Marek of SportsNet [We're going to get corner offices out of this one for sure, Greg!] [Right away, your BS detector should go off.] [Why do I know this crap? Something is wrong with me.] [Are. You. In. Sane?] and Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo! Sports [You and I are not quite that dissimilar...] [La la la la, hockey hockey hockey...] [Seattle is playing egg-cellent defense these days!] [(imitating Brian Burke) What does that even mean?!] debate hockey, [Wyshynski: So much junior hockey knowledge in that big juicy brain of yours! Marek: Oh yeah...] pop culture [Marek: See, I kinda look at our podcast here like jazz artists. John Davidson: There's are some bloggers that are great. They're entertaing, they're factual, it's fabulous. Wyshynski: Damn right, J.D.!] and more hockey! [Marek: (in an old-timey voice) Just what we need is to shoot off the side of the barn! That's how I developed my wrist shot, shooting frozen cow patties in Lloydminster...] Marek versus Wyshynski [Wyshynski: (sarcastically) Marek VERSUS Wyshynski, huh?!]
Ice hockey radio show/podcast, co-produced by SportsNet Canada
and Yahoo! Sports
. The titular hosts were Jeff Marek
, reporter for SportsNet and Greg Wyshynski
, blogger for Y!Sports. Episodes typically consisted the hosts giving their take on the hockey news of the day (mostly focusing on the National Hockey League
, but other ice hockey leagues and general discussion of the sport also are topics on occasion) and daily interviews with various people around the hockey world.
For most of the show's run, episodes were broadcast Monday through Friday (with exceptions for holidays) at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific, streamed live on sportsnet.ca on the alternate online feed for SportsNet 590 and on daily posts on Yahoo's Puck Daddy
blog. Starting for the 2015-16 NHL season, the show moved to a pre-recorded format due to the hosts receiving increased duties at their day jobs, with episodes guaranteed on Mondays through Thursdays and occasional Friday episodes when possible. At the start of the 2017-18 NHL season, Jeff Marek announced
the end of the podcast, with the final episode of the podcast airing on October 12, 2017.
The SportsNet website hosts an archive
of all episodes, and episodes are also available for download on iTunes
Successor show to Puck Daddy Radio
, also co-produced by Yahoo and co-hosted by Wyshynski.
Marek vs. Wyshynski provides examples of the following
- Audience Participation: For live episodes, Marek and Wyshynski would ask a Question of the Day and invite listeners to give their answers via e-mail or Twitter, with the best answers (as judged by the hosts) being read on-air at the end of each show. Answers that get on the air range from the obvious to the witty and even Black Humor will occasionally make its way there if it is particularly clever.
- Canada, Eh?
- Catch-Phrase: "Let's start the show proper, shall we?" by one of the hosts when they finish their lengthy teaser and ask for the show intro.
- Couch Gag: The show's intro, which has multiple variations thanks to the rotating collection of producers for the show. Each variation has the same narrator quotes introducing the hosts, with different music and flavor quotes. Among the variations include one themed to the Canadian televsion show The Littlest Hobo and another featuring all the technical difficulties experienced on the show.
- Game Show: Friday episodes are designated as "Game Show Fridays", with a segment having a lucky caller to the show answers ten questions of hockey trivia (usually compiled by living hockey encyclopedia Marek) for the chance to win prizes.
- Joisey: Greg Wyshynski is a New Jersey native and diehard New Jersey Devils fan.
- Odd Couple: Marek is a Canada-renowned hockey journalist who once did reporting for Hockey Night in Canada, while Wyshynski is an American hockey fan who worked his way from an unknown newspaper reporter to one of the biggest names in hockey blogging.
- Once an Episode: The extra long teaser and the Question of the Day.
- One of Us: Greg Wyshynski is an unabashed Star Wars nerd to the point that he has a Star Wars-themed bathroom.
- Spin-Off: Not by the show's creators themselves, but several gags such as Hologram Bill Masterton and Drunk Peter Puck have been spun off into parody twitter accounts by fans
- The Teaser: The intro to the show (transcript provided at the top of this page) never actually plays at or close to the start of the show. The titular hosts will cold open with rambling on about a given topic for anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes before it finally plays. The May 9, 2012 episode is a particularly notable example, as Marek and Wysh went on for over twenty three and a half minutes before the intro.
- The November 15, 2013 show managed to top it: the show ran 45 minutes - three quarters of the scheduled on-air time - before the intro was finally played. Less than amonth later, the December 12 episode out-did it by not playing the intro at all, making that episode one big Teaser!
- The Wiki Rule: The show surprisingly has its own (if incomplete) wiki with a listing of every episode, including guests and notable moments and quotes from each.