Ice hockey radio show/podcast, co-produced by SportsNet Canada
and Yahoo! Sports
. The titular hosts are Jeff Marek
, reporter for SportsNet and Greg Wyshynski
, blogger for Y!Sports. Episodes typically consist the hosts giving their take on the hockey news of the day (mostly focusing on the National Hockey League
, but other ice hockey leagues and general discussion of the sport also are topics on occasion) and daily interviews with various people around the hockey world.
Episodes are produced Monday through Friday (with exceptions for holidays) at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific, broadcast live on SportsNet's flagship radio station SportsNet 590 in Toronto, and streamed live on sportsnet.ca and on daily posts on Yahoo's Puck Daddy
blog. The SportsNet website also hosts an archive
of all previous episodes, and episodes are also available for download on iTunes
Successor show to Puck Daddy Radio
, also co-produced by Yahoo and co-hosted by Wyshynski.
Marek vs. Wyshynski provides examples of the following
- Audience Participation: Prior to each episode, Marek and Wyshynski will ask a Question of the Day and invite listeners to give their answers via e-mail or Twitter, with the best answers (as judged by the hosts) being read on-air at the end of each show. Answers that get on the air range from the obvious to the witty and even Black Humor will occasionally make its way there if it is particularly clever.
- Canada, Eh?
- Catch Phrase: "Let's start the show proper, shall we?" by one of the hosts when they finish their lengthy teaser and ask for the show intro.
- Game Show: Friday episodes are designated as "Game Show Fridays", with a segment having a lucky caller to the show answers ten questions of hockey trivia (usually compiled by living hockey encyclopedia Marek) for the chance to win prizes.
- Joisey: Greg Wyshynski is a New Jersey native and diehard New Jersey Devils fan.
- Odd Couple: Marek is a Canada-renowned hockey journalist who once did reporting for Hockey Night in Canada, while Wyshynski is an American hockey fan who worked his way from an unknown newspaper reporter to one of the biggest names in hockey blogging.
- Once an Episode: The extra long teaser and the Question of the Day.
- One of Us: Greg Wyshynski is an unabashed Star Wars nerd to the point that he has a Star Wars-themed bathroom.
- Spin-Off: Not by the show's creators themselves, but several gags such as Hologram Bill Masterton and Drunk Peter Puck have been spun off into parody twitter accounts by fans
- The Teaser: The intro to the show (transcript provided at the top of this page) never actually plays at or close to the start of the show. The titular hosts will cold open with rambling on about a given topic for anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes before it finally plays. The May 9, 2012 episode is a particularly notable example, as Marek and Wysh went on for over twenty three and a half minutes before the intro.
- The November 15, 2013 show managed to top it: the show ran 45 minutes - three quarters of the scheduled on-air time - before the intro was finally played.
- The Wiki Rule: The show surprisingly has its own (if incomplete) wiki with a listing of every episode, including guests and notable moments and quotes from each.