Podcast: Hollywood Babble On
Garmy Strong.Hollywood Babble-On
is one of the many podcasts run under the SModcast
banner, hosted by actor Ralph Garman and director Kevin Smith
The show was recorded at Smith's SModCastle theater for the first several shows before moving to the Jon Lovitz Podcast Theatre (formerly the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club) on Universal City Walk at Universal Studios Hollywood, and then the Hollywood Improv after Smith/Garman and Lovitz had a falling out.
The show focuses on Hollywood and celebrity news. Since its inception in August 2010, the show has picked up numerous suggestions and submissions from listeners to become recurring segments and motifs in the show. Segments include:
- Shout-Outs: Ralph reads emails from listeners who have travelled exceptionally long distances to attend the show.
- What's Kev Smoking: A brief intro to the strain of pot Kevin is smoking that day.
- Garmin's Got An Email Bag (featuring Kevin's reactions): Ralph reads more emails.
- Tinseltown Stiffs: A loving tribute to those in show business who have recently passed away.
- Dynamic Duets: A famous duets tune is sung by Ralph (as Adam West's Batman) and Kevin (as The Dark Knight Rises's Bane).
- Shit That Should Not Be: Ralph highlights a listener-submitted movie production goof that somehow made it to the final cut.
- Exquisite Acting: A listener-submitted instance of hammy acting.
- Hollywood Helper: A news story about a Hollywood actor performing an act of kindness.
- What's Kev In?: Listener-submitted pictures that Kevin has been Photoshopped into.
- HBO Headlines: News headlines.
- Segments highlighting the actions of Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashian, and Justin Bieber, as well as Amanda Bynes during her mental issues.
- Movies That Will Suck: announcements of movies in development, that, the hosts agree, will suck.
- Geek News: More news headlines, this time focusing on news related to superheroes, sci-fi, and other geeky topics.
- How Big Is Liam Neeson's Cock?: Listener-submitted jokes about the size of Mr. Neeson's unit, as collected on http://neesoncock.com.
Since Kevin has numerous other podcasts to host, the show has had several guest hosts, including Jon Lovitz
, owner of the Podcast Theater.
You can listen to Hollywood Babble-On here
, on Stitcher Radio, or on iTunes; New episodes appear every Monday. They had been signed to make a pilot for a TV version of the show for AMC
, but the plans were scrapped when AMC decided to do away with many of their non scripted programming. Ironically, as Ralph noted when telling the audience the news, Kevin Smith's Comic Book Men was one of the two shows, along with Talking Dead, that survived.
This show provides examples of: