: Someone claims they don't have some skill, but when the chips are down, it turns out they do.
- Straight: Alice and Bob are at prom night, and Alice thinks Bob can't dance. He leads her onto the floor and dances like a champ. Upon being confronted about this, he says "I Lied".
- Exaggerated: After prom, Alice and Bob go back to a motel room and have fantastic sex - despite Bob claiming he has no idea what to do in bed. After that, they wake up the next morning and Bob makes her a five-star breakfast despite claiming he can't cook...
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob go out on the dance floor. He can't dance particularly well, but he dances better than Alice thought.
- Bob was lying for some reason or another, like his father disapproving his interest in dance.
- Bob didn't know how to dance... Until very recently, because he took some classes.
- Alice was asking about a specific dance, which Bob doesn't know. If it's another dance, he can usually ace it.
- Becoming the Boast - Bob claims he knows how to dance, but can't. When he gets out on the floor, he performs well enough to avoid embarrassment.
- Alternatively, Bob's claims of dancing skill are quickly proved wrong and he doesn't avoid embarrassment.
- Subverted: Bob claims he can't dance. He really can't.
- Double Subverted: He can't dance because he has some sort of mental block. Once removed, he's splendid.
- Bob insists he can't dance while performing moves that would make Michael Jackson himself jealous with rage.
- Bob claims he can't do anything before doing it. He claims he doesn't know how to go the potty before he uses the toilet, for instance.
- Zig Zagged: Bob claims he can't dance...and he can't, until he removes a mental block. But he's still not very good.
- Bob can dance, and makes no claim to the contrary.
- Bob refuses to dance, since, after all, he said he couldn't.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Come on, out on the dance floor. I know how these things go - you say you can't dance, so you'll turn out to be top-notch when we get on the floor."
- Invoked: Bob claims he can't dance while taking lessons on the side, just so he can surprise Alice.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
"Back to You Said You Couldn't Dance
and...hey, you said you couldn't edit trope pages!" "I've been taking lessons, just for you. Do you like it?"