- Alice usually calls Robert by his nickname, "Bob". When she's in some sort of danger, she calls him Robert.
- Claire and Daniel are on a Last-Name Basis, but have been flirting heavily. Claire turns out to have been The Mole and declares her love for Daniel as she's being dragged away. Daniel realizes she was Becoming the Mask because she actually called him by his first name this time.
- And when she's really in danger, she calls him "Mr. Troperson".
- Claire calls Daniel 'Dannykins'. This is enough to convince him that she has fallen head-over-heels for him.
- When Alice is in danger, she calls Robert "Bob", but says his name in a funny way.
- Claire may go for a Full-Name Ultimatum, but never just 'Daniel'.
- Justified: It's an easy way for Bob to determine that something's off.
- Alice usually calls Robert by his given name, even though he insists she should call him "Bob". When she starts to warm up to him, she indeed calls him Bob.
- Claire calls Daniel 'Danny' all the time. Then, when Daniel crosses the Moral Event Horizon, she responds by calling him by his last name in Tranquil Fury before (trying to) decimate him.
Alice: "Robert, can you..."Robert: "Wait, you're not calling me Bob?"Alice: "Yeah, I figured I'd actually start calling you Robert since you keep asking me to."
- Double Subverted: ... But after thinking it through, Robert realizes that Alice wouldn't call him by his name for that reason alone, and deduces that she's in danger.
- Parodied: There's about 100 different names Alice will call Robert, each one corresponding to a different type of danger. Each time she talks to him he has to flip through a notebook to find out what's wrong.
- Zig Zagged: It depends on how big the crisis is whether Alice calls Robert Bob or not. She also might do it when they get into a serious but not life-changing argument.
- Averted: Alice's name for Robert varies depending on her mood, not on any danger.
- Enforced: "This scene is dramatic, but Alice's nickname for Robert is likely to sound ridiculous when screamed in desperation. Let's make her call him Robert for one scene."
- Lampshaded: "Uh, I didn't need to hear my full name to realize shit was going down."
Alice: "Right, here's the deal. If I get kidnapped or something on this mission, and they want me to call you with a gun to my back and pretend I'm fine, the sign will be any use of 'Robert'. Got it?"
- Exploited: Claire invoked the trope to make Daniel easier to trick into breaking her out of prison.
Alice: "That man will always be 'Bob' to me, no matter what happens to us."
Interviewer: "When did you realize you had to call the police because your partner was kidnapped?"Bob: "When she called me Robert. She hadn't done that in ten years before this happened."
- Conversed: "Surely there must've been something different than the name-usage that would make Bob get suspicious?"
You call the page this leads to a 'Main'-page. Your life 'being ruined' must be serious.