Playing With: Xenafication
: A Damsel in Distress
or other non-action woman abruptly Takes a Level in Badass
or even evolves into an Action Girl
- Straight: Alice was normally a non-violent civilian who let the Five-Man Band handle crises up until now. However, her previously-mentioned archery hobby suddenly comes in handy when the Mooks attack.
- Princess Charlotte, who was raised in a convent and whose most frequently used line up to this point was "Save me, Bob!" picks up a sword for the first time in her life, and engages in a duel to the death with The Dragon (which she wins) while Bob takes on the Big Bad... and dies. Charlotte then avenges him with ease.
- This happens to every female character on the show, one by one.
- Justified: Not applicable. (The lack of an In-Universe reason is key to this trope. If there is one, it's just Character Development.)
- Inverted: Chickification.
- Gender-Inverted: Bob's male sidekick, Daniel, is The Load at first, but becomes just as competent as Bob.
- The mook Alice just beat up? Paid to take a dive.
- Alice's fluke success in battle makes her overconfident and think she's ready to fight evil full-time. She isn't, and the next fight she's in gets Alice severely wounded.
- Double Subverted:
- But when she stiffs him on the bill, his attack is easily dealt with by her genuine hidden combat abilities.
- Alice's skills abruptly improve after she heals, with no straightforward explanation.
- Parodied: Princess Charlotte goes from damsel in distress to army-destroying warrior whenever she cracks her knuckles.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- No characters show suddenly improved fighting skills; any Action Girl types are well-established as such from the beginning.
- Alice is shown training hard for a number of scenes/episodes beforehand.
- "Hey, I dropped a bunch of money on those fencing lessons. Any chance my character Princess Charlotte could, say, use a sword in this movie?" "Okay, Alice, but it will have to be pretty late in the story, we've already got the early scenes storyboarded."
- "Alice is turning into The Scrappy because people are sick of seeing her get captured every episode. So how about, next episode, she actually takes down the Monster of the Week on her own?"
- Lampshaded: "Since when does Princess Charlotte know how to use a sword? They didn't teach that at the convent!"
- Invoked: Not applicable. (Since this trope requires there not to be an In-Universe explanation, it is beyond the control of the characters.)
- Exploited: After hearing of Alice's victory over Emperor Evulz, Ethan hires her to help him defeat a Big Bad in another country.
- Defied: Alice refuses to learn any combat skills on the grounds that it's not ladylike.
- Discussed: "Hey, that dame can't suddenly toss me around like a sack of potatoes, can she? 'Cause I hate that."
- Conversed: "They hired Writer X on Generic Fantasy Show, I see. Five gets you ten Princess Charlotte gets a lot better at combat, because he loves that sort of thing."
- Deconstructed: Alice's sudden competence gets called into question with regards of her prior inaction or if something is amiss.
- Reconstructed: Alice lets Bob know of her new skills as soon as she acquires them.
- Played For Drama:
Back to Xenafication
, and empower yourself!