: A character has a cross-shaped scar to show they're a badass good guy
- Straight: Bob has a cross-shaped scar on his cheek. He's a badass and The Hero.
- Exaggerated: Bob's entire body is covered in cross-shaped scars. He is a walking Crowning Moment Of Awesome and an All-Loving Hero.
- Downplayed: Bob's scar is usually under his shirt, so we don't get to see it very often.
- Bob's scar is actually a Power Tattoo that is the source of his badassness. He got it as a reward for doing good deeds.
- Bob got it while enduring torture by the bad guys.
- Bob is completely scarred except for a cross-shaped area.
- A meek villain has a cross-shaped scar.
- Bob, who has a cross-shaped scar, turns out to be a villain...
- Bob gets a cross-shaped cut, but it heals without scarring.
- Double Subverted:
- ...But he's a Noble Demon.
- He gets another cross-shaped cut after it heals.
- Bob, who is a complete wimp, becomes a badass hero the moment he receives a cross-shaped scar. When it heals, he's a wimp again.
- In over-the-top Munchkin fasion, Bob COVERS himself in these cross-shaped scars in an attempt to improve his capabilities.
- Zig Zagged: Bob has an X-shaped scar and becomes Badass...then it heals... then he gets another scar that also heals, but he remains badass untill that scar reopens...
- Averted: Nobody has cross-shaped scars.
- Enforced: "The Hero doesn't look badass enough. Draw a cross-shaped scar on his cheek."
- Lampshaded: "That guy has a cross-shaped scar. I'll bet he's a badass hero."
- Invoked: Bob cuts his own cheek in the shape of a cross to show he's badass.
- Exploited: ???
- After getting the scars, Bob turns evil.
- Thinking that these scars are unbecoming of a hero, he does whatever it takes to have them removed.
- Discussed: "So, cross-shaped scar = Badass. How the hell does *that* work?"
- Conversed: ”ANOTHER X-shaped scar? Are they in fashion or something?”
- Deconstructed: While Bob's cross-shaped scar makes him look badass, the wound has a tendency to randomly open during combat, crippling him.
- Reconstructed: Bob overcomes the crippling injury through sheer Heroic Resolve.
Back to X Marks the Hero