: A world where animals substitute for people.
- Straight: Alice is a cat and Bob is a rabbit. They both speak English, live in houses, use money, and eat people foods. There is nothing unusual about that.
- Exaggerated: In this universe every animal is intelligent, even cockroaches, worms and amoebas. It is a highly advanced civilization where it is not unusual to see a dog driving a car or a cow eating a hamburger. (Don't ask where the meat came from.) Different species intermix freely, and their offspring may be of either species or a hybrid.
- Downplayed: Most characters are humans, though there are a few anthropomorphic animals.
- Justified: This story takes place in an alternate universe where humans never evolved, and all other species are sapient instead.
- Inverted: The story focuses on a purely human civilization, with no non-human animals to be seen anywhere.
- Subverted: We see a what looks like a dog-person attending a party but later it is revealed this is just a hyper realistic costume.
- Double Subverted: Underneath the dog costume, he is actually a cat!
- Parodied: Even though the animals are clearly very civilized, they also still eat each other. Bob the Rabbit gets very nervous when Alice the Cat gets hungry.
- Zig Zagged: It turns out that funny animals were controlled by humans for... Do we even have to say why?
- Averted: The world has humans as the dominant species, and animals are merely domestic.
- Enforced: The author is an animal lover who wanted to make a world composed entirely of animals.
- Lampshaded: "Mom is a cat, and Dad is a rabbit. Sometimes I wonder how Dad puts up with all of Mom's meat recipes."
- Invoked: A mad scientist genetically engineers animals to be sapient and humanoid, so he can study the evolution of a civilization with many species.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "So the bunny is in love with a cat?" "That's probably not unusual in this world. For one thing, the mayor of Troperville is a penguin who married a snake."
- Played for Laughs: Bob Bunny gives Alice Cat a gift of carrots, and she gives him a can of tuna. Awkwardness follows.
- Played for Drama: The carnivore animals oppress the herbivore animals, keeping them from rebelling or questioning the status quo, Two young animals, Alice - a cat from the carnivore clan - and Bob - a rabbit from the herbivore clan - must keep their friendship a secret.
Back to World of Funny Animals