: A menacing, usually outright evil woman in a black outfit.
- Straight: Melinda, a Dark Action Girl, dresses in black.
- Exaggerated: Melinda is a villain, and her wardrobe consists of black, black, and more black. She refuses to wear even a hint of any other colour.
- Downplayed: Melinda, an Obstructive Bureaucrat, wears a primarily black outfit with a white blouse and some tasteful grey accessories.
- Justified: Melinda's part of an evil army, and the uniform's all black.
- Double Subverted: On the surface, at least. Turns out, there's a certain side of her she keeps hidden...
- Parodied: The heroes' plan to neutralize Melinda is to get her to change her clothes. And it works.
- Zig Zagged: Melinda wears a completely black outfit, but she seems to be a nice person. Then we find out she's simply Affably Evil. Halfway through the series, she does a Heel-Face Turn and switches to brighter colours. But after a while, she decides black suited her better and starts wearing it again, even though she's turned good.
- Averted: Melinda doesn't wear black.
- Enforced: The show has Dark Is Evil as one of its themes.
- Lampshaded: "She only wears black from head to toe...I bet she's a bitch."
- Invoked: "People need to know beforehand Melinda is evil. Dress her in a black gown or something similar."
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Black makes me look pasty. Give me red or white any day."
- Discussed: "Hm, if I wear black today, people may think I'm evil, but they'll take me more seriously than if I wear pink...but I do so love pink...nah, I'll go with black."
- Conversed: "Why must all evil bitches wear black?"
- Deconstructed: Melinda, a hero, wears all black as a sign of defiance against the establishment of white as a symbol of good...
- Reconstructed: But after her fall to evil, she continues to wear black because she finds people take her more seriously as a villain when she wears dark colors.
Back to Woman in Black