: Viewers find political messages in everything... Even those that don't have them by design!
- Straight: The film Forbidden Anthem of Defiance is about La Résistance fighting The Empire. Viewers believe The Empire represents conservative views and La Résistance represents liberals, or the other way round.
- Exaggerated: The children's film Benny the Bunny is accused of being "Socialist propaganda" because the titular character encourages sharing with others.
- The real message of Forbidden Anthem of Defiance is "dictatorship is bad".
- Forbidden Anthem of Defiance does have some satirical jokes here and there. But overall, there is no underlining political message behind the film. However some fans think that the movie is more political than actually is.
- Justified: The creators, consciously or not, added some political meanings to the work.
- Inverted: The Evils of Communism is supposed to be an anvilicious condemnation of Communism, but somehow most viewers fail to notice that.
- The film Forbidden Anthem of Defiance is stated by Word of God to be actually political. It's just very subtle about it.
- It's a common in-joke amongst the fandom to joke about there being a political message behind Forbidden Anthem of Defiance. But they don't actually mean it.
- Double Subverted:
- Zig Zagged: Joke #1 in Forbidden Anthem of Defiance is nonpolitical in nature, but mistakenly perceived as such. Joke #2 is correctly interpreted as a joke about a then-current political issue. Joke #3 was designed as a political joke, but the majority of the audience doesn't pick up on the subtext. Joke #4 is nonpolitical and everyone who sees the movie recognizes it to be so. Repeat until the end of the film.
- Forbidden Anthem of Defiance is openly a political film.
- Or alternatively, the viewers are sure that there's no political message behind it.
- A character encourages the audience to find something political about the film.
- In-Universe example. Emperor Evulz twists Bob's words to make it look like he's in favor of a controversial political ideology. So people don't agree that ideology, but hate Evulz, won't side with the rebellion.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Conversed: "Why does everyone keep telling me this movie is political? It looks like a regular action film to me."
Back to What Do You Mean, It's Not Political?