'''Basic Trope''': A character doesn't care if their underlings die, since they can easily replace them.
** General Bob orders his soldiers to charge a heavily fortified location, knowing that they will certainly all die.
** General Bob asks for an artillery strike that will hit both the enemy and his own troops.
* '''Exaggerated''': General Bob is willing to depopulate his entire nation in order to win a single battle.
** Bob's soldiers are expendable in the sense [[UriahGambit that they need to be expended as quickly as possible]] [[ExplosiveBreeder due to massive overpopulation.]]
* '''Downplayed''': General Bob accepts some casualties, understanding that it's unavoidable.
** [[GodzillaThreshold It's either this or the End of Everything]].
** General Bob is uncaring about the deaths of him men because he is TheStoic.
** General Bob's soldiers are MechaMooks that can be [[WhatMeasureIsANonHuman replaced quickly and cheaply]].
* '''Inverted''': [[AFatherToHisMen General Bob cares so much about his soldiers that he would rather lose the war than see them killed]].
** General Bob starts with this attitude, but once he sees that WarIsHell, he starts to care far more about his men.
** General Bob initially appears to not care when his soldiers die, but is later shown [[DrowningMySorrows drowning his sorrows]], suffering from BadDreams, or otherwise [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone mourning the deaths of his men]].
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but then it turns he was [[GeneralRipper just pretending to mourn them so people would stop criticizing him for being too callous]].
* '''Parodied''': General Bob sacrifices a million soldiers [[MustHaveCaffeine just to get himself a cup of coffee]], and then sends a million more out [[SillyReasonForWar because he doesn't have any cream for his coffee]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob [[GeneralRipper doesn't particularly care about the lives of his men]], but he's also [[TheAce a skilled enough commander]] that [[MaryTzu he can make it through battles without taking heavy casualties anyway]].
* '''Averted''': General Bob does not treat his men as completely expendable. This [[AFatherToHisMen may]] or [[PragmaticVillainy may not]] necessarily entail being AFatherToHisMen.
* '''Enforced''': The author wants to show that WarIsHell.
* '''Lampshaded''': "I don't care if my soldiers die; that's their job."
** An EvilChancellor deliberately places General Bob in command of the army to kill off the soldiers loyal to the King.
** TheEmpire teaches its officers to see their soldiers as expendable.
* '''Exploited''': Bob's enemies continually encourage his men to desert, and they're only too willing to accept the offer; after all, it's not like they could be treated any worse as [=POWs=] than they are as soldiers.
* '''Defied''': TheFederation teaches its officers to value the lives of their troops, and to try to win with as few casualties as possible.
* '''Discussed''': "The General really doesn't care how many of his own soldiers die [[GloryHound as long he gets to proclaim victory at the end of the battle]]."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied''': In the [[FreezeFrameBonus background in a few scenes]], you can see computer screens displaying the army's total strength, which is plummeting rapidly.
** General Bob's willingness to let his army take massive casualties results in his nation running out of fighting men and costing them the war.
** General Bob's callousness results in morale plummeting to rock bottom, and most of his soldiers desert or defect. This eventually results in either General Bob being court-martialed or one of his former troops [[KarmicDeath killing him]] [[MistreatmentInducedBetrayal for such cruelty]].
* '''Reconstructed''': General Bob's tactics, costly though they are, are demoralizing enough to the enemy that they [[PeaceConference sue for peace]], preventing the war from dragging on and killing ''more'' people on both sides.
Back to WeHaveReserves, men, [[SelfDemonstratingArticle and I don't care how many of you die to get us there]]!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???