- Straight: Alice and Bob break up, and a while later, Bob comes over to see if Alice is willing to give the relationship another chance. Alice tells Bob she's moved on and that he should too.
- Exaggerated: Bob comes over to see if Alice is willing to give the relationship another chance, only to find that she's Happily Married to Charles and pregnant with his child.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob break up. Bob comes over to see if Alice is willing to try the relationship again. Alice says that while she'd like to, it'd just be too hard.
- Alice sees that there were huge, glaring problems in the relationship, and it's simply not worth going back.
- Alice has a new Love Interest, a new career, etc.
- Inverted: Alice agrees to give it another try with Bob, for the nth time .)
- Alice tells Bob she'll give it some thought, as she's not sure how she feels about the whole situation, and Bob agrees to give her some time to think it over.
- Bob has a new Love Interest.
- Double Subverted:
- Three days later, Alice calls Bob and tells him that while she still cares about him, it just wasn't meant to be (or that she has some personal issues that she needs to work on before she can be happy in any kind of relationship), and that he should move on.
- But he still has feelings for Alice, and dumps his new girlfriend for her.
- Parodied: When Bob suggests getting back together, Alice sets herself on fire.
Bob: "...I'll take that as a no, then..."
- Zig Zagged: Yo Yo Plot Point
- Enforced: Rule of Drama.
Zack: "Good move, Alice. Bob was more trouble than he's worth anyhow."
- "No, Bob. I've moved on, and you should too."
- Invoked: Bob is still in a funk after breaking up with Alice, and decides to give her a call, "just to see how she's doing."
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice decides right then and there that she wants to pursue a relationship with Bob again, and they once again become an Official Couple.
- Discussed: "Face it, Bob. It's over. It didn't work out the first time, so what makes you think it would work out again?"
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Laughs: Bob goes through a lot of trouble to win Alice back (rehearsing a big speech, buying expensive flowers, navigating a tough Godzilla-related traffic jam on the way to her house, etc.) only for the door to be answered by Alice's new boyfriend.
- Played For Drama: Bob goes through all kinds of trouble to win Alice back, only to have her mother answer the door and state that Alice has committed suicide.
Back to We Are Not Going Through That Again