Playing With: Utility Weapon
Basic Trope: A weapon in a video game which is used outside of combat to solve puzzles/bypass obstacles.
Back to Utility Weapon
- Straight: Alice can use her screwdriver to open up certain panals, as well as attack enemies.
- Exaggerated: Every weapon in Alice's arsenal can be used for puzzle solving; The taser can jump start generators, the pistol is assigned to Alice and works as a form of ID, the shotgun can be used for a bird hunting minigame, the bayonet on the rifle can be used to pry open doors and the screwdriver...is a screwdriver.
- Downplayed: Some puzzles are solved by shooting certain targets with the right weapon.
- Justified: Alice has to travel light; all her gear is designed with multiple uses in mind.
- Inverted: The game doesn't have any "real" weapons. Enemies must be defeated by using tools in creative ways.
- Subverted: Alice comes to a panel with screws in it, takes out her screwdriver...and uses it to shank the guard for his key.
- Double Subverted: The screws on the outside of the panel were non-standard hexagonal ones. Inside is a hatch the player can access with the screwdriver.
- Parodied: Alice proposes several other ways of restarting the generator without finding a taser...but only the taser works for some reason.
- Zig Zagged: Some of the weapons have other uses, some are just there for killing enemies.
- Averted: The game consists entirely of combat or puzzles. Nothing is used for both.
- Enforced: The developers want to include puzzles but the Game Engine won't support separate tools.
- Lampshaded: "The screwdriver can also be inserted into the back of certain fastening devices in order to mechanically rotate them and unfasten whatever they happen to be holding in place. Try it here."
- Invoked: Alice picks her weapons because she knows they'll come in handy later.
- Exploited: Legally Alice can't carry any weapons in certain places...but she's free to carry a tool that just happens to be usable as a weapon.
- Defied: The Big Bad makes sure that all the obstacles in his fortress are hardened against whatever Alice's weapons
- Discussed: "I suppose I'll be able to drive screws with my screwdriver too?"
- Conversed: "Why are you armed with a screwdriver in this game?" "I can use it to open those panels."
Back to Utility Weapon