'''Basic Trope''': The main character is a jerk but the audience puts up with him because he is funny.
* '''Straight''': Bob is an asshole to his so called friends. The audience loves him because of his antics.
** LaughablyEvil VillainProtagonist
** Bob feels hatred towards the entire world. He is the most popular character in the show.
** [[VillainProtagonist Bob]] is an OmnicidalManiac SerialKiller in a BlackComedy. The fans think he is one of the funniest characters on the show.
* '''Downplayed''': While he can be harsh and judgmental, Bob is, for the most part, a NiceGuy GoodIsNotSoft protagonist who's InnocentlyInsensitive at worst.
** Bob is very grumpy.
** He is SurroundedByIdiots.
** He is the ButtMonkey of the show.
* '''Inverted''': Bob is the AllLovingHero and his friends always want to hang out with him, and the audience hates him.
* '''Subverted''': Bob is a jerk, and the audience hates him.
* '''Double Subverted''': But he later starts doing funny things and [[RescuedFromTheScrappyHeap rescues himself from the scrappy heap.]]
* '''Parodied''': In a ShowWithinAShow, Bob says [[PrecisionFStrike "fuck"]] and the whole cast loves him.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob is not a jerk to the point it defines his character.
* '''Averted''': Bob is a nice guy, and has a modest sized fanbase.
* '''Enforced''': "The audience wants a character they can laugh ''with'' when he does bad things to people, and laugh ''against'' when things don't go his way. Let's make Bob a dick."
* '''Lampshaded''': "It's amazing how can people love Bob even if he is an asshole."
* '''Exploited''': Bob intentionally peppers his unsavory moments with bits of stupidity and comeuppance so his friends grow conditioned to his attitude and actually [[WeWantOurJerkBack miss it if it goes away.]]
* '''Defied''': Bob doesn't want to be a jerk, so he makes a conscious effort to be likeable.
* '''Discussed''': "People just tolerate Bob's antics because he is funny."
* '''Conversed''': "How can people like someone as horrible as him?"
** After so many antics, Bob finally crosses the MoralEventHorizon. The characters and the audience lose sympathy for him. Bob becomes TheScrappy and the show's rating begin to drop.
** It is revealed that Bob used to be the WideEyedIdealist. However, living in a CrapsackWorld that did its best to [[BreakTheBadass break him]], eventually he gets himself a JadeColoredGlasses and is now an empty shell of his former self.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob becomes TheAtoner and tries to get back to his friends' good graces. Eventually, his friends begin to go easy on him. Bob regains some of his popularity and the show's ratings recover. [[ReformedButNotTamed He's still a jerk, though.]]
Back to UnsympatheticComedyProtagonist
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???