: A goofy black character, almost Always Male
- Straight: Jamal is a Cloud Cuckoolander and a Large Ham at that.
- Exaggerated: Jamal is Chaotic Stupid.
- Downplayed: Jamal is an otherwise serious character, who likes to crack some Crosses the Line Twice jokes from time to time to (try to) ease tense situations.
- Gender Inverted: Shaniqua is the silly one in the group.
- Jamal knows when it's important to be serious and focused.
- Jamal is Obfuscating Stupidity, for one reason or another.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Jamal has an, also black, sidekick whose job is to stop him whenever he does it.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: "We need a character that will be perceived as "cool" by our mainly-white target audience."
- Lampshaded: "UNCLE TOM WILL THINK YOU ARE FOOLISH!"
- Invoked: Jamal does it because he likes to make people laugh.
- Exploited: The heroes need to put on a comedy, everyone looks to Jamal, who has been serious the whole time. He plays the comic relief very well.
- Defied: Jamal is asked to do something funny. He glares.
- Discussed:"Jamal, what's with the shuckin' and jivin'? Seriously?"
- Conversed:"Wow. A black character acting like a buffoon. How original."
- Deconstructed: As with all stereotypes, it can create a serious amount of Unfortunate Implications and backlash if done poorly.
- Reconstructed: ...However, Jamal strikes a good balance between silly and serious, reacts believably to situations and people, and has a fair amount of Hidden Depths; so he's a well-rounded and likable character who most fans genuinelly like.
A few people might react negatively to him, sure, but that's the innevitable baggage that comes due to people's inherent racism/bitterness, not an intended reaction engineered by the creators themselves, who just want to create a fun and charming character.
- Played For Drama: Jamal has Hidden Depths, but no one is willing (or able) to look past his silliness and antics.
Back to Uncle Tomfoolery