: Two characters can't marry because they lack the money to do so.
- Andrew's salary is not enough to support both him and Betty, so they can't marry.
- Conrad's inheritance gives him enough to live on, but when he falls in love with Davida, he goes looking for a job, because it would not be comfortable for a family.
- Exaggerated: Edgar is living at the edge of poverty, and must make a fortune before he can marry the Princess Florimel.
- Downplayed: George and Henrietta plan to marry after he gets a raise.
- You can't live on love.
- Her parents need to approve the marriage, and won't allow it because he doesn't make enough.
- Ivan and Jeanette marry without enough money, and both end up malnourished and dying young.
- Karol can't afford to live on his allowance unmarried, but when he marries Lily, his mother increases it, and they can support a family on it.
- Matthew receives a rich inheritance and finds that he can't avoid marrying, the way women throw themselves at him, and the constant deadly duels' threats he gets for compromising situations the women set up.
- Subverted: Nathaniel and Olivia can't afford to marry, except that Olivia, Spoiled Sweet and determined, gets poor women to teach her how to keep house on a meager wage.
- Double Subverted: This puts Olivia so off poverty that she insists on his earning more to support her.
- Parodied: Patrica, a Royal Brat, is always reeling off lists of everything she expects to be able to buy when married, and wonders why no one will woo her.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: ???
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: Quentin looks about for the rich heiresses in the ball, and the chaperones whisper about how it's really prudent.
- Invoked: Roberto goes into a poorly paid occupation to avoid marrying.
- Exploited: Sebastian can't find a date because he's so poor, but after thinking about it for a while, he decides he'd rather remain single anyway.
- Defied: Thomas and Ulrike marry on his meager salary.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Why doesn't Vanessa marry Wallace?" "Because they can't afford it. Don't you ever watch this show?"
Back to Unable To Support A Wife