Playing With: Tomboyish Name
: A girl has a boy's name. Such a character is usually a tomboy, although she does not necessarily have to be.
- Straight: Samantha is a Tomboy and wants everyone to call her Sam.
- Exaggerated: Sam is the manliest woman alive.
- Downplayed: Sam has a boy's name, but is not actually much of a tomboy.
- Sam just likes her name that way.
- Sam's parents wanted a boy.
- Sam's parents originally weren't sure what gender she was. So they decided to give her a unisex name.
- Inverted: Samuel is called Sammi.
- Subverted: Sam is very tomboyish, but insists people call her Samantha.
- Double Subverted: ...however, later on she decides to go by Sam.
- Zig Zagged: Sam is sometimes called Samantha, and sometimes Sam.
- Averted: Samantha goes by Samantha.
- Enforced: "We need to keep the computer's gender ambiguous until the Reveal. Let's give her a name that's slowly becoming unisex."
- Lampshaded: "Oh, for...this is the fifth time this week someone's mistaken me for a guy!"
- Invoked: A newborn girl's parents give her a boyish name because they hope their daughter will be a tomboy.
- Exploited: Sam uses her Gender-Blender Name to successfully pull off Samus is a Girl.
- Defied: Samantha doesn't want to be a tomboy, and forces everyone to call her Samantha.
- Discussed: "Honestly Sam, if you went by Samantha you'd probably confuse less people."
- Conversed: "Why do tomboys in these shows always have male-sounding names?"
Back to Tomboyish Name