Playing With: Tomato Surprise
: There is something important about the main character(s) or setting that would normally be explained from the start, but it's left for a last minute Twist Ending reveal.
- Straight: The Second Eagle Division is implied to be a group of humans threatened by a sinister alien invasion, but they turn out to be a group of humans threatening a friendly alien invasion.
- Exaggerated: The Second Eagle Division are implied to be a group of humans threatened by a sinister alien invasion, but turn out to be aliens threatened by humans, but are revealed to have invaded Earth before and the humans try to get it back, but it is revealed that those humans are carrying a plague that turns them into cannibalizing vampire-zombies while the invading aliens had peacefully mixed with the non-infected humans due to sciencemagic.
- Downplayed: The Second Eagle Division turns out to be a group of aliens halfway through, and then the story continues on without much change.
- Justified: ???
- Inverted: ???
- Subverted: The Second Eagle Division is heavily implied to be going to turn out to be a group of aliens, but then it turns out that they're still humans.
- Double Subverted: The Second Eagle Division are actually Transplanted Humans, with their own culture and history, while the invader civilization is Earth Humans.
- Parodied: The Second Eagle Division have green skin, forehead ridges and communicate via flatulance, yet at the end of the story it is anticlimactically revealed "The Second Eagle Division is not, in fact, human."
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Everyone is who you expected.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: The Second Eagle Division is a unit specifically trained to emulate human behavior, culture, and warfare in order to play to the sympathies of their aggressor.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: From the beginning, it's clear to both sides of the war (and the audience) what their goal is and who their enemy is.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Tomato Surprise