: A rare nice event happens to the Butt Monkey
for a change.
- Straight: Melanie spends most of her time on the Alice and Bob show being humiliated by the other characters, having horrible, implausible accidents happening to her, and is the punchline to every joke. Nothing ever seems to go right for her, and she's the only heroic main character to never end a episode happy. One day, she wakes up to find that not only has her improbable misfortune stopped, but she actually finds 50 dollars on the floor. To make matters better, she ends up being the one who saves the day from Emperor Evulz and is praised by everyone as a hero.
- Exaggerated: Melanie goes from The Chew Toy to the Black Hole Sue in the space of one scene.
- Downplayed: Nothing nice happens to Melanie, but nothing as horrible as she is used to.
- The universe/deity of her religion/fate starts to feel bad for how he's treated Melanie in the past, and decides to give her a break.
- Melanie starts wearing four leaf clovers, which prove surprisingly effective.
- Karmic Jackpot
- Pure coincidence. Bad things happen to her by chance, and now good things are too.
- Inverted: Melanie is the Creator's Pet, usually used to Character Shilling, being naturally brilliant at everything and loved by everyone, who finally gets her comeuppance for a change.
- Subverted: Yank the Dog's Chain
- Double Subverted: ???
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Melanie's luck doesn't improve.
- Or alternatively, Melanie isn't the Butt Monkey.
- Enforced: Melanie's mistreatment on the show is enough to make a large proportion of the Fandom feel sorry for her, and tire of the abuse she gets on the show. The last thing the writers want to do is alienate the Fandom so they write a episode where Melanie gets to save the day to win them over.
- "...Is this what happiness feels like?"
- When Melanie finds herself winning a battle against a feared-villain and going through the episode relatively unscathed, Yasmine asks if she has her script.
- Sandra feels sorry for Melanie, and is generous and caring towards her to counterbalance the way the rest of the world is towards her.
- Melanie makes a Deal with the Devil so that she'll suddenly start being lucky.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Just as things start to miraculously look up for Melanie, she's avoided every punch in the episode so far, she's getting compliments from superior fighters, she finds herself a cool new sword, a anvil randomly drops on her head and knocks her out. Damien remarks that the natural balance of the world has been restored.
- Discussed: "You know, out of all the people to ride off into the sunset victorious in the end, I still can't believe it's Melanie." "Yeah well, God knows she's earnt it."
- Conversed: "Huh. Shouldn't Melanie be lying unconscious in a garbage can by now?" "Usually. Guess the writers must be trying to appeal to her fanbase."
Be kind to the unabridged page for once, and go back to Throw the Dog a Bone
. I'm sure your presence would prove a rare treat for them.