Playing With: The Power of Love
: Love is the Strongest Force in the Universe.
- Straight: The heroes' love for each other lets them overcome their trials.
- The heroes embrace each other as they are set on fire, and when the fire dies down the heroes are unharmed.
- Their love becomes an actual, tangible weapon or forcefield.
- Downplayed: The heroes' love for each other is a powerful motivator for both.
- The Power of Hate. (Hate is the Strongest Force in the Universe.) The hero's overwhelming hatred for the villain and all the horrible things he's done sees him through all his trials just so he can take that son of a bitch down hard.
- Love Makes You Evil
- 1. The hero makes a stirring speech about how his love will prevail over all, but when it gets to the fight, the villain beats him handily. As the hero lies dying on the floor, the Mooks lead his love away to be executed.
- 2. An Anti-Hero dismisses the Power of Love and proceeds to slay the wicked demigod with the Power of POWER
- 3. Unimpressed by the hero's speech about love, the villain responds with a filthy limerick and a whuppin'.
- Double Subverted:
- Zig Zagged: The Power of Love saves the heroes one minute, then fails to save them the next. Then later, love saves them later on when their love is "renewed".
- The hero and his love interest clearly love each other very much, but it does nothing to help them with most of the troubles they face throughout the story.
- No one loves anyone.
- Enforced: We can't just let the hero fail here, but he and his love interest have no weapon or tactic that can get them through this. Let's have their love let them make it through.
- Lampshaded: "We can overcome this challenge with the strength of our love."
- Invoked: Something bad happens, so the hero shouts "I LOVE YOU!" at his love interest in the hope that this will save him.
- Exploited: The Evil Overlord kidnaps the hero's love interest so the hero will have no choice but to work for him if he wants her to live.
- Defied: The Evil Overlord chooses all marriages for minimum possible attraction.
- Discussed: "You know, I wish this was like one of those movies, where our relationship would somehow get us through all these stupid unrelated troubles in life."
- Conversed: "Have you noticed how many shows have the heroes survive because of their love for someone?"
Back to The Power of Love