: A character serves to heal while all his teammates do the fighting.
- Straight: Whenever a fight breaks out, Jack is healing while other characters are slinging spells, wielding swords, or shooting arrows. Occasionally, with his back to the wall, he pulls out the Holy Hand Grenade and Light 'em Up. He also holds the team together.
- Exaggerated: Jack has no interests except healing, even insisting on helping injured enemies. In town, he's learning new healing spells or treating the poor at the hospital.
- Downplayed: Jack is a fully active member of the team, but has some first aid training so tends to be the one to perform the After Action Patch Up.
- Double Subverted: Except that it's deliberately non-fatal Tap on the Head (applied according to his expert knowledge of the peripheral nervous system); he still has his Hippocratic Oath to think of, after all.
- Zig Zagged: Bob is shown as a devoted healer and a bloodthirsty fighter... but never both at the same time. Whichever one he is seems to be dictated by the plot.
- Parodied: Bob ignores the sight of his comrades being slaughtered as he stops to put a bandage on a child's cut finger.
- Averted: Everyone fights, and everyone can do some healing.
- Enforced: Game mechanics are set up so that a full-time healer cannot be a fighter, so that the player has to make decisions about who to put in the party to confront the final boss.
- Lampshaded: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a soldier!"
- Invoked: The Captain reasons that division of labour is the best way to set up his unit, and somebody with conflicting objectives will work less effectively. So the guy in charge of keeping injured members alive is ordered to concentrate on that, and only fight to defend himself and his patients.
- Exploited: Shoot the Medic First.
- Defied: "Everyone fights, no one quits!"
- Discussed: "They wear a red cross so they don't get shot at. Doesn't always work.."
- Conversed: "I ain't got time to bleed."
- Deconstructed: Jack refuses to fight because he considers himself morally superior to those who do, although he completely relies on their defending him.
- Reconstructed: His teammates throw him off for his attitude, only discover that they need his healing, that they are considerably more blood-thirsty without his calming influence, and that he has serenely gone on doing good without them. After a while, they realize that what they took for his attitude had really been their looking at him while possessed by the Green-Eyed Monster for his calm and collected manner and Incorruptible Pure Pureness.
Don't worry, The Medic
will fix you up. They fix everyone...