: A character who is defined by the fear others have of them.
- Straight: When Emperor Evulz enters a room, it falls silent and a few weak-willed souls may start quivering.
- Exaggerated: Wherever Evulz goes, he incites panic and madness in even his own followers. He's scary enough to have other major characters cowering in fear near him.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: Evulz really is that scary. Whether through magic, appearance or a reputation for slaughtering entire towns singlehandedly, people have reason to flee at the sound of his approach.
- Inverted: Evulz "(It's pronounced 'Eh-vools'. Short 'e'.)" is a friendly Hope Bringer; everyone is reassured and comforted by Evulz's presence, and are more likely to stand their ground when he's around.
- Subverted: When Evulz enters a room, the scene is set up as if The Dreaded is making their appearance. The lights fall, the scary music starts, and his entry is shrouded in darkness. After the entrance though, everyone's reactions are passive or even downright friendly and informal towards him.
- Double Subverted: ...Only for Evulz to put on a terrifying display of authority and/or violence, silencing the crowd quickly by shooting or beheading one of the miscreants, prompting everyone to react as standard to the trope.
- Evulz is a five year old Humanoid Abomination who just wants to be friends with the cute little monkeys who keep running away for some reason.
- Evulz is a friendly individual who really isn't threatening and he mostly just wants to speak to people. Due to his name though, which has been inherited in the constitutional monarchy he is leader of, everybody is terrified of him when the worst he'll do will be to jump up from behind something.
- Evulz is Harmless Villain and yet everyone is still afraid of him.
- Zig Zagged: There's no rhyme or reason to who stands and who runs; trained soldiers who outnumber Evulz turn and run while heavily outnumbered conscripts hold their ground. The heroes are terrified, but children fearlessly stand up to the villain.
- Averted: Evulz is not feared beyond what is reasonable for his position in the story.
- Enforced: "We need to show how scary our new villain/Anti-Hero is. Let's make the other characters' reaction to him that of obvious fear".
- Lampshaded: "You'd think Evulz casts dark magic on us all, the way our army runs from him every time he shows up on the battlefield".
- Invoked: "Butcher them all. I want no man or woman to dare stand against me from this day forth".
- Exploited: Another character uses Evulz' fearsome reputation to coerce his subordinates into doing his will.
- Defied: Evulz intentionally keeps a low profile so nobody knows how dangerous he is until it's too late.
- Discussed: "That's the problem. No one will fight him, everyone is frightened. Even if we could beat him, the question is, who'd be mad enough to try?"
- Conversed: "Oh god, it's HIM! RUN!
- Deconstructed: Everyone's terrified of Evulz, good and evil alike. And rather than run, they all team up to take him down.
- Played For Laughs: Evulz enters a crowded room and asks "Hey guys, what's up?" in a friendly tone of voice. Everyone in the room panics shortly after.
Only the bravest would dare return to face The Dreaded