: A stage in a video game that's really, really, really
- Straight: In Alice Adventure, there is a stage towards the end of the story mode called "Escape the Fortress of Doom." You have to make it to the end of the stage under a heavy time limit, and all the while every hazard and Mook you can think of wants you dead, and then there's that part at the end where you have to Outrun the Fireball...
- Exaggerated: And on top of that, the stage goes on for what seems like forever, there are hardly any checkpoints, and even the tiniest mistake means instant death. And there's a Game-Breaking Bug that can kill you... at the results screen.
- Downplayed: The stage is frustrating, yes, but it's not that bad, and once you get the hang of it it can be fun.
- Justified: This stage takes place at the most intense portion of the story, so you need an intense level to go with it.
- Inverted: Breather Level, Best Level Ever.
- Subverted: Some thought the stage was really frustrating and cheap, others thought it was really fun.
- Double Subverted: But they thought it was fun because they only like hard games!
- Parodied: Bob is playing Super Robo-Neko 3 and gets up to the final stage... and Robo-Neko instantly falls to his death. He looks up the level on the strategy guide, and all the guide says about the level is: "Good luck."
- Zig-Zagged: The level of fun in the stage stays inconsistent throughout. One moment it's pretty fun, the other moment it's frustrating, then it's fun again, then frustrating...
- Averted: There is no 'that one level' in the game.
- Enforced: Alice Adventure is a parody of every video game cliche, and this trope was one of those cliches.
- Lampshaded: At the start of the stage, Emperor Evulz tells Alice "Welcome to the hardest stage yet!".
- Invoked: When the stage is loading, the Loading Screen reads: "You know how in lots of video games, where there has to be that one really hard level that people hate? This is that one level."
- Exploited: ???
- When the stage was being tested, the testers spoke out that it wasn't a very enjoyable stage, so the developers tweaked it to make it more fun.
- The players use a cheating device to make the stage much more tolerable.
- Discussed: "Alice Adventure is still one of my favourite games, but that one level where you have to escape the fortress makes me wanna throw the game out the window."
- Conversed: "I swear, pretty much every game has to have at least one stage like that. It's like, tradition."
- Deconstructed: Players everywhere drive themselves insane trying to beat this one stage, and some people return the game just because of this stage.
- Reconstructed: A few years later, Alice Adventure NEO comes out, and the once dreaded fortress escape level is now much less of a nightmare than what it used to be.
Back to That One Level
. Watch out for the bomb about to fall on your head!