Playing With: Tear Jerker
Basic Trope: Something that makes an audience cry.
Back to Tear Jerker
- Straight: Bob's fiancée Alice is dying from a terminal disease while they wait patiently by the bedside. As the heart-rate monitor flatlines, Alice whispers "I love you" one final time before slipping into a peaceful and permanent sleep. Bob stares solemnly while tears run down his face.
- Exaggerated: Not only does Alice die after flat-lining, but Bob receives a phone call immediately after informing him that his entire family was just killed in a horrible plane crash. Then a mental health patient busts out of the room he's in and rapes Bob, realistically, and Bob gets an STD, and at the same time he is diagnosed with it he is also told he has terminal cancer, and there's one survivor of the plane crash left to mourn him (but then he promptly dies from injuries he got during the plane crash). And then the coffee store everyone goes to closes down for undisclosed reasons.
- Downplayed: Alice is a minor character, so her death isn't that tragic.
- Justified: Alice died of an illness.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Alice is recovering in the hospital from a broken arm, but she and Bob act as if she were dying of a terminal illness.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Nothing sad happens.
- The movie is supposed to be a tragedy.
- The entire meaning or message behind the film would be lost if Alice lives.
- Lampshaded: Bob's solemn stare is actually an Aside Glance. He then asks this:
Bob: "Will you please cry with me?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Other characters make use of Bob's fragile emotional state after the event to manipulate him.
- Defied: Bob says he would do anything to prevent the Tear Jerker situation... And proceeds to do so, even when it should be impossible according to the setting's laws.
- Discussed: As soon as Bob the Stoic leaves the tragic scene, the doctors discuss how there is at least one moment in ''everyone's lives that classifies as this.
Charlie: "... Dude, you don't look too good. What happened?"
Don: "Just watched the finale of Alice and Bob. Don't mind me."
Charlie: "That scene got ya too, huh?"
- Played For Laughs: One or more characters Wangst about the situation, entirely on purpose by the authors.
Back to Tear Jerker