Playing With: Talking Is a Free Action
: A character monologues in a situation where, realistically, they wouldn't have enough time to say all that they are saying.
- Straight: "Oh no! That truck — barreling right at me!" cries Alice.
- Exaggerated: Alice also has time for a Sherlock Scan which tells her the make, model and license number of the oncoming truck.
- Downplayed: "Oh no, a truck!" cries Alice.
- Alice is merely thinking, and we see/hear the words via Translation Convention. Although it takes the audience a moment to wade through the monologue, the thought actually goes through Alice's mind in an instant.
- Alternatively, Alice is frozen in terror.
- Alternatively, Alice talks really fast.
- Alice has the power to slow down time, and uses this to comment on the situation.
- Inverted: A short conversation with no significant pauses described takes fifteen minutes.
- Subverted: Alice looks like she's going to say something but doesn't...
- Double Subverted: Until she says something while she dodges the car
- Parodied: Alice's monologue leaps from one subject to the next like a Wiki Walk:
a Dodge Ram, 1998 vintage, barreling directly toward me at a velocity of 98 miles per hour! I remember from the movie Twister
that these trucks are practically indestructible. Boy, Knight Rider
was a silly show, wasn't it? With its Talking Appliance Sidekick
car and all. I think I may have left my iron on. Or maybe the oven. I hope Bob did the dishes, that ketchup will be hard to wash out. That truck is going to turn me
into ketchup! O sweet Tropernia! If only there were some way I could save myself! This is the end! ...Where was I again?"
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice simply leaps to safety and then delivers a monologue after the danger has passed ("Gee, that Could Have Been Messy.")
- Enforced: "We need to show why Alice just stands there, instead of moving, so people won't think she's an idiot." "Well, why not just have her explain that there's no time to move?" "Brilliant!"
- Lampshaded: "No time to leap out of the way; only time to talk about it!"
- Invoked: Alice comments on the oncoming truck to make sure she has time to leap out of the way.
- Exploited: The Villain notes Alice's hesitation and points this out to The Hero, invoking a Sadistic Choice.
- Defied: "I'm geting out of here right now. When Supertroper and Emperor Evulz start fighting they tend to throw cars around, and I don't want to get smooshed."
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice is Killed Mid-Sentence because she wasted time on talking.
- Reconstructed: Talking about the situation helps Alice understand it better, and through this, survive.
- Necessary Weasel: Alice herself; big fight scenes generally require at least one muggle who can be endangered.
Gadzooks! We've only a few seconds to click on the link back to Talking Is a Free Action