Playing With: Swiss Army Tears
: A character's tears are able to solve the problem at hand.
- Straight: Bob is knocked out during a fight, Alice's tears cause him to awaken.
- A single tear brings everyone who died during the series back to life, restores areas destroyed in battle and causes the Big Bad to instantly make a Heel-Face Turn.
- Alice's tears are omnipotent.
- Bob's tears can heal small wounds, but aren't powerful enough for to fix heavy damage or bring someone back to life.
- Alice's tears can't heal wounds, but can act as a disinfectant.
- Justified: The character who cries is a magical being whose tears are widely showed in myth as having healing properties.
- Inverted: Due to Bizarre Alien Biology, Alice's tears are actually a very powerful poison.
- Subverted: Alice lies on Bob's corpse and sobs her heart out. Sadly, Bob is still dead...
- Double Subverted: ...at least until the tears start seeping into Bob's many wounds. Cue Power Glows.
- Alice's tears revive people... As zombies.
- An army of weeping Swiss soldiers save the day.
- Zig Zagged: Even though the show hangs lampshades on it repeatedly, Bob's tears don't always work, which props a lot of invoking and Conversational Troping when the characters start realizing it... even when they KNOW most instances from that point on are not actual applications of the trope.
- Averted: Alice's tears never come close to Bob's corpse.
- Enforced: "How are we going to heal Bob after the fight with the Big Bad?" "Maybe we should give Alice the ability to heal people with her tears. The shippers will love it!"
- Lampshaded: "So she has magical tears? That's cool, I guess."
- Invoked: "Oh no, Bob is hurt! Someone cry on him!"
- Exploited: Everybody takes Alice along to fights so she can cry on them if they get hurt.
- Alice is knocked out in a fight. Bob knows his tears would probably help her, but he wouldn't be caught dead crying.
- Villain carves Alice's eyes out so she wouldn't cry resurrecting tears!
- Discussed: Bob pretended to be dead/unconscious to set up a joke.
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Someone figures out the mechanics of these sorts of tears and then finds a way to mass produce them for the pharmaceutical industry. What follows is a 'tear maker' job where people spend their working hours crying. This is either a good living or a bad one.
- Reconstructed: The powers of said tears are magical in nature and only work at certain conditions, making them unwieldy for industrialization.
- Played For Drama: Bob pulls off a Heroic Sacrifice and dies in Alice's arms. She begins to cry, but he remains dead.
Back to Swiss Army Tears