: A character denies an accusation that hasn't been made yet, implying that they are
indeed guilty of whatever they deny doing.
- Straight: When Alice finds Bob on her computer and asks, "What are you doing?" Bob says, "I'm not changing your desktop!"
- Exaggerated: "I'm not hacking the Nielsen ratings to make curling appear more popular than hockey! I'm just ... uh, updating my resume."
- "I'm not browsing the Internet — I'm just keeping it from going to sleep!"
- Bob is dripping with sarcasm as he says this, and isn't really trying to deny it.
- Justified: Bob is a Bad Liar.
- Inverted: "Calm down! I'm just, uh, doing some stuff. Yeah."
- Subverted: "I'm not ... uh, what did you say I was doing?"
- Double Subverted: "...well, whatever it is you think I'm doing, I'm not doing it!"
- Parodied: I am most definitely not casting the spell "Hocus Pocus, Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak", which is not the Randomosity Spell, which is not the only spell that can occasionally save the world from the Evil Mundanity, which is not trying to Take Over the World. Also, I am most definitely not trying to take over the world in the Evil Mundanity's place, I have not been considering turning you into a mongoose, and I do not think that dress makes you look fat.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: "Just a sec — I'm not done pranking you yet."
- Enforced: The thing being denied is the central element of an Ignore The Disability gag.
- Lampshaded: Alice replies, "You realize I never said anything about my desktop, right?"
- Invoked: Bob doesn't want to admit to constructing a computer virus, so he states that he is not changing her desktop around...which is actually true, but makes Alice think that's actually what he's trying to hide from her.
- Exploited: Could Say It But.
- Defied: When Carol hears Alice come in, she interrupts Bob before he can blurt out anything incriminating.
- Discussed: "The secret to hiding something is not to deny its truth, but to pretend to know nothing one way or the other."
- Conversed: "This character's such an idiot. If he were more vague with his denials, he wouldn't end up in the doghouse every single episode!"
- Deconstructed: Bob really wasn't doing what Alice thought he was doing.
I'm not putting a link to Suspiciously Specific Denial
on this page — it's a rick roll