'''Basic trope''': A minor villain who appears early in a show.
* '''Straight''': The first episode of ''The Adventures of AliceAndBob'' has our hero dealing with [[MookLieutenant Captain Jack]], a low rank minion of who controls a small town.
* '''Exaggerated''': Jack is nothing but [[TheBully a school yard bully]] who happens to be a fan of Emperor Evulz.
* '''Downplayed''': While Jack is a threat, later villains have more resources and greater plans.
** Bob's mentor intentionally pushes Bob into confronting Jack so that he can get some experience before taking on greater threats.
** ''The Adventures of Bob'' is a videogame and the first few levels spent campaigning against Captain Jack are a JustifiedTutorial.
* '''Inverted''': The very first villian Bob takes on is the BigBad, and he spends the rest of the series mopping up the multitude of smaller bad guys left leaderless in the wake of his defeat.
* '''Subverted''': Captain Jack works to make up for his failure, and comes back with a higher rank more dangerous than ever.
* '''Double Subverted''': However, by the time Jack gets around to striking at Bob, Bob has also taken several [[TookALevelInBadass levels in badass]] and defeats him just as easily the second time around. Bob continues to escalate in power faster than Jack, and Jack quickly becomes a non-issue.
** PowerLevels [[WebVideo/DragonballAbridged are counted as Jacks]].
** All Bob needs to do is slap Jack in the face, and he runs off crying.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Jack returns several times, his power level compared to Bob's varying depending on how much time Bob's spent grinding.
* '''Averted''': The first villain Bob faces is just as strong as all the rest he later must defeat.
** "We need a weak villain for Bob to beat up easily, to show how tough he is."
** The creators feel that the final BigBad needs to be off the radar at the beginning so TheReveal of their true plans is all the more surprising. However, the hero needs to receive their call to arms in the first episode [[TokenMotivationalNemesis and therefore needs someone they can fight at that point]].
* '''Lampshaded''': "I'm just the first villain, guys. I'm thus the weakest."
* '''Invoked''': The army believes its enemies are weak, so they just send their weakest members to defeat them.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': The true villain decides to attack every potentially threatening RagtagBunchOfMisfits at full force.
* '''Discussed''': "The true villains never show up first. [[SortingAlgorithmOfEvil They send their minions first]]."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Deconstructed''': After his easy defeat of Captain Jack on his first attempt, Bob is elated and rushes into his next fight, feeling invincible. Unfortunately, GeneralRipper, his next foe, is much more formidable and he is soundly defeated.
* '''Reconstructed''': The experience and knowledge gained in defeating Captain Jack serve as a boost to Bob's confidence. With many of his old insecurities no longer holding him back, Bob is now capable of facing much more dangerous villains on an even footing.
Back to StarterVillain. But I'm warning you, next time won't be so easy!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???