'''Basic Trope''': The elevator takes too long, so the character takes the stairs instead.
* '''Straight''': On the run from [[TheDragon General Drake]], [[TheHero Bob]] pushes the button for the elevator, but when Drake catches up, he takes the stairs instead.
* '''Exaggerated''': The elevator takes 3 hours to go up one floor.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob waits one second for the elevator before taking the stairs down one floor.
** Drake was seconds away from catching up to Bob, so he had no time to wait.
** The elevator was out of order.
** Which floor the elevator is located at is displayed at the doors - Bob may have seen that all the elevators are too far away from her floor. Alternatively, there may be other people in the building chasing him - taking the elevator would mean Drake can tell his accomplices what floor Bob's at (especially if there's a chance one of them has access to a fire alarm, which would disable all elevators where they are and leave Bob a sitting duck).
* '''Inverted''': Bob starts to take the stairs, but ends up taking the elevator instead.
* '''Subverted''': Drake is just about to catch up to Bob when the elevator door opens.
* '''Double Subverted''': But the elevator is full, so he ends up taking the stairs.
* '''Parodied''': The elevator door opens seconds after Bob leaves to take the stairs.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob switches back and forth between stairs and the elevator.
* '''Averted''': The elevator door instantly opens, giving Bob no problem.
* '''Enforced''': The cameras are already set up in the stairwell, and the director thinks a chase down them will be more dramatic.
* '''Lampshaded''': "These elevators are so slow! I could be at the bottom by the time this thing gets up here!"
* '''Invoked''': Drake puts the elevator out of order, and the building has 5 floors, allowing Drake to catch up to Bob while he is climbing the stairs.
* '''Exploited''': Drake's accomplices are waiting for Bob in the stairway.
* '''Defied''': Bob refuses to take the stairs and fights off Drake while waiting for the elevator.
* '''Discussed''': "You know, that elevator's taking too long. The stairs would be faster!"
* '''Conversed''': "Isn't it funny how elevators take the longest when characters need it the most?"
* '''Deconstructed''': In a rush to escape from Drake, Bob trips up.
* '''Reconstructed''': When Drake catches up, Bob catches him by surprise by [[GroinAttack kicking him where it hurts]].
Back to StairsAreFaster
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???