Playing With: Squishy Wizard
Basic Trope: A character possessing powerful mystical abilities is physically weak.
Back to Squishy Wizard
- Straight: Matthias Longbeard is a powerful sorcerer, but he's not so great in close combat.
- Matthias isn't physically weak, but he lacks training in martial arts.
- The entire cast consists of mages, and while Matthias is the most powerful spellcaster his physical strength enhancing magic is weaker then that of his companions.
- Matthias has been in the wizarding business for a while and age has caught up with him.
- Studying magic tends to involve spending countless hours in dusty libraries, so Matthias never got a chance to exercise.
- For whatever reason, wearing armor is counter-productive to wielding magic, so Matthias doesn't wear any. The result is this trope.
- Matthias is a lich, so his body is highly decayed.
- In times of great need, Matthias can summon the ability to become a Kung-Fu Wizard.
- Matthias happens to have a pretty good defensive spell that keeps him alive.
- Matthias is as skinny as a stick, but he's also a black belt, which more than makes up for it.
- Double Subverted: Except after he uses these abilities, Matthias requires a 12-hour rest to regain full strength.
- Parodied: Matthias can control time and space, disintegrating enemies with a flick of his wrist. But if you so much as nudge him, he'll fall over in a crumpled heap.
- Zig Zagged: Matthias is as vulnerable or invincible as the plot demands — in one episode he can be injured only by special magic weapons and in the next he trips over a pebble and breaks his foot so his comrades must take on the next dungeon without him.
- Matthias uses buff spells to become stronger.
- Matthias regularly exercises at least an hour a day, so he's actually pretty fit for a wizard.
- Enforced: "This wizard character is too strong. We need to weaken him a bit."
- Lampshaded: "I'm guessing Matthias skipped gym class. A lot."
- Matthias is told to stay in the back of the party's attack formation, keeping him out of the line of fire while giving him some range for his spells.
- The Powers That Be, when creating magic, made it so that great magical power decays the user's body so that no one magic user could grow too powerful.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Matthias is wiped out quickly as a result.
- Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Turns out it was all a Xanatos Gambit made up by Matthias: by focusing his henchmen on Matthias, the rest of the party can focus on him. The other way around would have taken longer, and while still doable, this way is more direct. Also, Matthias is plenty capable of holding his own in a massive melee with or without his magic, thank you very much.
- Matthias's mentor made him spend almost as much time exercising and practicing physical combat as he did learning magic, specifically so that he wouldn't die if he couldn't get to a spell fast enough.
- Discussed: "It seems weird that this guy can fire lightning, but a backhand takes him down just like that."
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: Matthias is never seen in physical combat, but his comrades work very hard to keep enemies away from him in a fight.
- Deconstructed: Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Matthias wipes out much of the minions with his powerful magic, but he is eventually overpowered by the sheer numbers and beaten to death.
- Reconstructed: Matthias's physical fraility is why he always travels with a couple of Stone Wall brawlers.
Back to Squishy Wizard