: A character possessing powerful mystical abilities is physically weak.
- Straight: Matthias Longbeard is a powerful sorcerer, but he's not so great in close combat.
- Downplayed: Matthias is physically weaker, but can fight in close quarters if he needs to.
- Matthias has been in the wizarding business for a while and age has caught up with him.
- Studying magic tends to involve spending countless hours in dusty libraries, so Matthias never got a chance to exercise.
- For whatever reason, wearing armor is counter-productive to wielding magic, so Matthias doesn't wear any. The result is this trope.
- Matthias is a lich, so his body is highly decayed.
- Inverted: Kung-Fu Wizard
- Double Subverted: Except after he uses these abilities, Matthias requires a 12-hour rest to regain full strength.
- Parodied: Matthias can control time and space, disintegrating enemies with a flick of his wrist. But if you so much as nudge him, he'll fall over in a crumpled heap.
- Zig Zagged: Matthias is as vulnerable or invincible as the plot demands — in one episode he can be injured only by special magic weapons and in the next he trips over a pebble and breaks his foot so his comrades must take on the next dungeon without him.
- Matthias uses buff spells to become stronger.
- Matthias regularly exercises at least an hour a day, so he's actually pretty fit for a wizard.
- Enforced: "This wizard character is too strong. We need to weaken him a bit."
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Matthias is told to stay in the back of the party's attack formation, keeping him out of the line of fire while giving him some range for his spells.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Matthias is wiped out quickly as a result.
- Defied: Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Turns out it was all a Xanatos Gambit made up by Matthias: by focusing his henchmen on Matthias, the rest of the party can focus on him. The other way around would have taken longer, and while still doable, this way is more direct. Also, Matthias is plenty capable of holding his own in a massive melee with or without his magic, thank you very much.
- Discussed: "It seems weird that this guy can fire lightning, but a backhand takes him down just like that."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Emperor Evulz recognizes Matthias' power. He orders his minions to focus their attacks on Matthias. Matthias wipes out much of the minions with his powerful magic, but he is eventually overpowered by the sheer numbers. His friends try to help, but they are disorganized and vulnerable by this surprise attack.
- Reconstructed: Matthais' physical vulnerability reveals that magic is just another tool or skill, and that mages are just as human as everyone else.
Back to Squishy Wizard