: Woman gives birth to the posthumous child of her lover.
- Straight: After Bob is killed in the war, his girlfriend Alice finds she is pregnant with his child.
- Alice gives birth to triplets.
- Alice has several children, all born of different men who were later killed in the war.
- Every man killed in the war left a pregnant woman back home.
- Downplayed: Bob's son is born before he is deployed and dies.
- Justified: Bob and Alice wanted to have a child before he was drafted.
- Inverted: Bob's son dies in an accident while he is deployed overseas. Bob returns home (physically) unharmed.
- Gender Inverted:
- Alice aborts Bob's baby.
- Alice puts the baby for adoption as soon as he is born.
- Double Subverted:
- The procedure is botched and a baby is eventually born alive.
- Alice realizes that she actually loved Bob when she is told that he died, after putting the baby up for adoption. She gets cold feet and tries to get him back to have Someone to Remember Him By.
- Parodied: Everytime a Mook is killed the show cuts to his girlfriend having a positive pregnancy test.
- Zig Zagged:
- ...and Alice puts him up for adoption.
- ...but Alice fails to get the child back, or decides that she wouldn't be a good mother anyway.
- Averted: Alice is not pregnant when Bob is killed.
- The producers demand the introduction of a cute baby in the show to boost ratings.
- Bob's actor leaves the show, but the writers liked the name Bob too much to lose it, so they came up with Bob Jr.
- Lampshaded: "I'm pregnant? At least I'll have Someone to Remember Him By, sob."
- Invoked: Alice convinces Bob to do it until she is impregnated before he departs overseas, "just in case".
- Exploited: Bob is the last heir of his old, rich, proud family in Medieval England. His wife Alice convinces him of the need to get her pregnant before he is called to arms, or his wicked cousin thrice removed that hates her, Charlie, will inherit everything and kick her out if Bob is killed. Bob dies, but the plan works out and his and Alice's son inherits everything.
- Bob doesn't want to shackle Alice with a child to raise if he is killed, and they use anticonceptives.
- Alice doesn't want to have children now, by Bob or any other man.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: Alice, whose only son is about to go to college, often talks about her husband Bob who died in a war fought around the time Bob Jr. was born, but it is unclear if he was born before or after Bob was killed.
- Deconstructed: Alice goes mad with grief and comes to hate Bob for "abandoning" her, paying it with the child.
- Reconstructed: With medical help, Alice eventually recovers her senses and loves her son, who grows up to be very much like his father.
- Played For Laughs: "But I Can't Be Pregnant!!" "Did your last sex partner die in the war, Ma'am?" "Oh, shit"
- Played For Drama: The child helps Alice get over her depression caused by the death of Bob, the love of her life.
The Playing With...
section is finished! But at least I'll have the trope page
to remember it by, sob