'''Basic Trope''': A woman is punished in some way for having sex or expressing her sexuality.
* '''Straight''': Alice has sex or dresses provocatively, and suffers socially for it, being ostracized, losing a job, or being attacked by people around her.
** Alice switches from floor-length dresses to ankle-length dresses. She get [[ShamefulStrip stripped naked]] and ridden through town on a car with her head shaved and [[MarkOfShame "WHORE" tattooed on her back in large letters]].
** Alice is shamed for enjoying sex with her husband, as all of the other women "[[LieBackAndThinkOfEngland dutifully lie back]]".
** Alice starts having sex, one person says she's a slut to her face, a few snicker behind her back, everyone else shrugs it off and treats her as normal.
** The shaming is equal opportunity as both man and woman receive it.
** [[DeliberateValuesDissonance The work is set]] at time when a woman losing her virginity before marriage and the guy she lost it with not marrying her afterward mean [[DefiledForever she is now "damaged goods" and no one will marry her]].
** Being publicly shamed for having had extra-marital sex is the legal punishment in Alice's country.
** Alice frequently [[VirginShaming shames those who don't want/have sex]] and needs a taste of her own medicine.
** [[YourCheatingHeart Alice sleeps with many men but is engaged to Bob, who is unaware of her lifestyle.]]
** Alice is a serial homewrecker who enjoys destroying families by seducing and sleeping with married men so she can tell everything to their wives and kids afterwards. Points added if she has no FreudianExcuse.
** Alice starts to shame herself and immediately gets [[QuitYourWhining slapped down]] and told that [[SexIsGood sex is part of a normal adult lifestyle]].
** Alice is [[YouNeedToGetLaid shamed for]] [[VirginShaming not having sex]].
** Alice has sex and is praised for [[SexAsRiteOfPassage becoming a "real woman"]].
* '''GenderFlipped''': Bob learns the hard way that having sex with women does not made him a stud.
** Alice is being called names for having had sex but it turns out she didn't and everyone involved in the bashing [[RealitySues is sued]] for public slander.
** Alice is a GoodBadGirl who likes to see herself as an EthicalSlut and, even though she gets called names, she leads her life regardless of what people may say.
** Everyone was okay with Alice, but she kept bragging about [[TooMuchInformation her sex life in great detail]], even when they expressed their discomfort and asked her to stop.
* '''Double Subverted''': After the hoopla over insulting Alice is over, she reveals to her best friends that she only gives handjobs and blowjobs. Thus, her hymen is intact!
* '''Parodied''': Shaming the Slut is a yearly parade, where someone wears a ridiculous costume based loosely on a cheerleader's uniform and they pelt it with water balloons.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The town gets in an uproar whenever side characters have sex, but the heroine is allowed to get away scot free and is even given free muffins for life at the bakery for losing her virginity, until a monster shows up and the town decides to sacrifice her to it for being a giant slut, only it turns out the monster only eats virgins as a punishment'for not having the emotional maturity to just do it.
* '''Averted''': No one gives a shit.
** Out of fear of MoralGuardians they throw in [[DoNotDoThisCoolThing shallow messages against premarital sex]].
** The writers want to preach sexual liberation, and portrays anyone against it as stuffy and old fashioned at best and abusive at worst.
* '''Lampshaded''': "You skank!! Aren't you ashamed of existing? You have sex with all these men and you don't care! Whore!!!"
* '''Invoked''': "You can't be a with Bob, Alice. Not unless you want to marry him. You know what will happen if you do..."
* '''Exploited''': "Look, I need to distract them from my bad grades or I'll never get elected class president. All I have to do is sleep with some guy and that won't even come up!"
** "You can call me a slut all you want, at least I'm honest. You think all these perfect girls you see in church are all faithful wives? Think again. Oh, and that goes for them guys too."
** While Bob does not like Alice's behavior, he decides that confronting her about it will be just as awkward for him as it will be for her.
* '''Discussed''': "Why is it that when an unwed woman has sex, she's automatically labeled a slut?" "Social mores, dear boy, social mores..."
* '''Conversed''': "Wow, this book is... when's the last time parents kicked their kid out for having sex? Seriously."
** Due to the restrictions imposed on women's sexuality and men's expectations of sexual promiscuity, Alice is obliged to resort to anal intercourse, even though she hates it.
** Alice ends up leaving her town as a result of all the abuse and humiliation her peers put her through.
* '''Played For Laughs''': She keeps having sex and when people walk in, they mistake it for something perfectly innocent, but her reputation keeps getting ruined for totally innocuous things.
* '''Played For Drama''': Alice get slut-shamed and eventually commits suicide or is forced into entering a convent.
Back to SlutShaming
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???