Playing With: Slut-Shaming
Basic Trope: A woman is punished in some way for having sex or expressing her sexuality.
Back to Slut-Shaming
- Straight: Cheryl has sex or dresses provocatively, and suffers socially for it, being ostracized, losing a job, or being attacked by people around her.
- Exaggerated: Cheryl switches from floor-length dresses to ankle-length dresses. She get stripped naked and ridden through town on a car with her head shaved and whore tattooed on her back.
- Downplayed: Cheryl starts having sex, one person says she's a slut, everyone shrugs it off and treats her as normal.
- The work is set at time when a woman losing her virginity before marriage and the guy she lost it with not marrying her afterward mean she is now 'damaged goods' and no one will marry her.
- Being publicly shamed for having had extra-marital sex is the legal punishment in Cheryl's country.
- Cheryl frequently shames those who don't want/have sex and needs a taste of her own medicine.
- Cheryl sleeps with many men but is engaged to Tom, who is unaware of her lifestyle.
- Cheryl is a serial homewrecker who enjoys destroying families by seducing and sleeping with married men so she can tell everything to their wives and kids afterwards. Points added if she has no Freudian Excuse.
- Gender Flipped: Bob learns the hard way that having sex with women does not made him a stud.
- Cheryl is being called names for having had sex but it turns out she didn't and everyone involved in the bashing is sued for public slander.
- Cheryl is a Good Bad Girl who likes to see herself as an Ethical Slut and, even though she gets called names, she leads her life regardless of what people may say.
- Double Subverted: After the hoopla over insulting Cheryl is over, she reveals to her best friends that she only gives handjobs and blowjobs. Thus, her hymen is intact!
- Parodied: Shaming the Slut is a yearly parade, where someone wears a ridiculous costume based loosely on a cheerleader's uniform and they pelt it with water balloons.
- Zig Zagged: The town gets in an uproar whenever side characters have sex, but the heroine is allowed to get away scot free and is even given free muffins for life at the bakery for losing her virginity, until a monster shows up and the town decides to sacrifice her to it for being a giant slut, only it turns out the monster only eats virgins as a punishment for not having the emotional maturity to just do it.
- Averted: No one gives a shit.
- Lampshaded: "You skank!! Aren't you ashamed of existing? You have sex with all these men and you don't care! Whore!!!"
- Invoked: "You can't be a with Hector, Cheryl. Not unless you want to marry him. You know what will happen if you do..."
- Exploited: Look, I need to distract them from my bad grades or I'll never get elected class president. All I have to do is sleep with some guy and that won't even come up!"
- Defied: "You can call me a slut all you want, at least I'm honest. You think all these perfect girls you see in church are all faithful wives? Think again. Oh, and that goes for them guys too."
- Discussed: "Why is it that when an unwed woman has sex, she's automatically labeled a slut?" "Social mores, dear boy, social mores..."
- Conversed: "Wow, this book is... when's the last time parents kicked their kid out for having sex? Seriously."
- Due to the restrictions imposed on women's sexuality and men's expectations of sexual promiscuity, Cheryl is obliged to resort to anal intercourse, even though she hates it.
- Cheryl becomes a lesbian and leaves town as a result of the shaming she receives for having had sex before marriage.
- Reconstructed: Cheryl's entourage realizes the damage done to her over something so trivial and eventually gets off her case.
- Played For Laughs: She keeps having sex and when people walk in, they mistake it for something perfectly innocent, but her reputation keeps getting ruined for totally innocuous things.
- Played For Drama: Cheryl get slut-shamed and eventually commits suicide or is forced into entering a convent.
Back to Slut-Shaming