Playing With: Sixth Ranger Traitor
Basic Trope: A Sixth Ranger who reveals to be evil (in the Five-Man Band) or good (in the Five-Bad Band) all along.
Back to Sixth Ranger Traitor
- Charlie, the Sixth Ranger in the Five-Man Band, is actually The Mole sent in by the Five-Bad Band to send in information to their leader.
- Alternatively, Charlie joins the Five-Man Band as The Sixth Ranger, but feels that Good Is Boring and does a Face-Heel Turn.
- Or, Tony, the Sixth Ranger in the Five-Bad Band, is The Starscream.
- Alternatively, Tony is The Sixth Ranger in the Five-Bad Band, but after a while feels that Good Feels Good and does a Heel-Face Turn.
- Downplayed: Charlie wasn't a traitor to start, he simply deserts instead of defecting after a morally questionable action. He doesn't help them but he doesn't aid their foes either beyond his leaving weakening them.
- Justified: ???
- Originally may have been that instead of Charlie defecting to the Five-Bad Band, it was Tony who defected to the Five-Man Band instead. However, both forms are now so common the inversion is rarely recognized as such.
- Every member of the team save Tony or Charlie defects to the opposite side, leaving only them.
- Charlie realizes that it's better to be good, so he is Becoming the Mask.
- Or, Tony decides not to fight against his leader, since there is a good chance that he will be killed.
- The Five-Man Band suspects that Charlie may really be Tony, The Mole, only to find that, no, despite their distrust, he really is the good guy.
- Double Subverted:
- Turns out Charlie lied about Becoming the Mask just to get closer with the Five-Man Band, making his betrayal all the more effective.
- Or, Tony knows that it would be worth it to fight against the Five-Bad Band to uphold justice, even if it costs his life.
- But actually he was just pretending so good.
- Parodied: When Charlie joins most of the team starts taking bets as to whether or not he'll turn within two years.
- Zig Zagged: After Tony joines the heroes as The Mole, he starts Becoming the Mask, but then he is blackmailed by The Big Bad and rejoins him. Later Tony decides that Good Feels Good, comes back to the heroes and stays with them even when The Leader switches to evil side. But after some Time he thinks that Good Is Boring and again becomes evil. For a while...
- Enforced: Creators want somebody to be a traitor but do not want anybody who audience already knows and likes to be him.
- Lampshaded: "We should have suspected that if you had not been with us from the beginning you could betray us."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The heroes double check everybody who wants to join them knowing that he may be The Mole.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Even if he truly wanted to, Charlie, having defected to the Five-Man Band, finds that he is trusted by absolutely no one on the team. In fact, they distrust him so heartily, that routinely give him the most dangerous assignments not to trust him with their success but to occasion his demise.
- Reconstructed: The Five-Man Band realize that they can't function without trust, even if the only one they distrust is Charlie it would sour relations between the original five eventually. So they engineer a series of secret tests to find out whose side Charlie is on, and so that if he really is evil the intelligence he takes back helps them take down the Five-Bad Band.
- Played For Laughs: Charlie is so comically obvious as a traitor that the rest of the Five-Man Band have to fight to keep a straight face while feeding him false intel.
- Played for Drama: Charlie is genuinely sad about betraying the Five-Man Band, and realizes that afterwards no one will trust him, and his evil associates will probably dispose of him once he's no longer useful.
Back to Sixth Ranger Traitor