: A married couple doesn't sleep together
- Straight: Alice and Bob haven't had sex in several years.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob never even had sex on the wedding night, and they sleep in separate bedrooms!
- Downplayed: They only have sex for children.
- Alice and Bob have hit the Relationship Ceiling, but don't believe in divorce.
- Alice and/or Bob have some kind of medical problem that makes them unable to perform.
- Alice and Bob have agreed to not have sex, for spiritual reasons.
- Bob (or Alice) is serving in a war overseas and hasn't been home in a long time.
- The marriage is a sham.
- Both Alice and Bob are asexual, but not aromantic; they prefer to engage into other kind of amorous interactions not related to intercourse.
- Despite being married Alice and Bob have decided that they aren't ready to have sex yet.
- Bob and/or Alice aren't/isn't comfortable having sex because they've/(s)he's experienced sexual abuse and can't help but be reminded of that experience during sex. So they agree not to.
- Bob and Alice have analyzed the very idea of sex, seeing it as bad from a logical standpoint (S.T.D.s, touching organs that pee & poo, vaginal pain if the penis is too big, etc.). So in-order to maintain the idea that they are more logical than everyone-else or simply just because they think it is rational, they decide to refrain from all sex even if they really want to.
- Bob and Alice want to study what each other's sexual preferences and what makes good sex so good first to make their first time together is enjoyable.
- Alice or Bob has A.I.D.s or some deadly S.T.D. or S.T.I. and (s)he doesn't want to risk his/her partner's safety.
- Inverted: Alice and Bob are Insatiable Newlyweds... Or at least act like it.
- Subverted: Alice and Bob have an open marriage
- Double Subverted: But haven't had sex with each other in a very long time.
- Parodied: Alice and Bob, despite being a married couple, don't even know the ''meaning'' of the word "intercourse" nor any of its equivalents.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Alice and Bob are implied to go for weeks, months, years without sex, other times can't even be in the same room without doing something sexual together.
- Averted: Alice and Bob have a normal amount of marital sex.
- Enforced: Alice and Bob are in a series made during the days of The Hays Code, where even a married couple having sex (or even sharing a bed) was considered scandalous by Moral Guardians everywhere.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Alice and Bob start fighting, and the whole marriage (including the sex) suffers for it.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice and Bob agree that they will have sex at least once a week (if not more than that), no matter what.
- Discussed: "I heard Alice and Bob aren't sleeping together anymore..."
- Conversed: "I couldn't stay in a Sexless Marriage."
- Deconstructed: This can put a strain on the relationship, especially if it wasn't by mutual agreement. (And if it was, well, not everyone is up to the challenge.) It may also be a sign of personal or relationship problems, and may lead to cheating or divorce.
- Reconstructed: Alice and Bob get help for their personal and marital issues (or medical ones). They have sex...and really enjoy it.
Back to Sexless Marriage