Playing With: Sequelitis
Basic Trope: A work gets worse after sequels.
Back to Sequelitis
- Straight: Troper Wars was a good Summer Blockbuster, but Troper Wars 2: Nightmare Fuel and Egregious Revenge gets less critical respect.
- Exaggerated: Troper Wars was a critical and commercial success. Troper Wars 2 bombs critically and financially. Troper Wars 3: The Mind Boggles goes straight-to-DVD and is universally panned as one of the worst films ever. Troper Wars 4: The Reckoning of Welcome to Corneria And I Must Scream manages not only to get a -100% score on Rotten Tomatoes, but causes the film industry to crash.
- Downplayed: Troper Wars 2 is not the best film you'll see by any means, and represents a definite step down from its predecessor, but it's still OK for what it is.
- Subverted: Troper Wars 2 has a forgettable, generic setup, but the plot threads tie up nicely in the middle for an overall enjoyable experience.
- Double Subverted: The ending, however, is a slap in the face.
- Parodied: Troper Wars 2 is the absolute worst sequel ever! Watching this film will nauseate you, destroy your faith in humanity, and force you to write a Strongly Worded Letter to its creators. In conclusion: It's So Bad, It's Horrible!
- Zig Zagged: Troper Wars was a commercial success, but Troper Wars 2 was a complete flop. Troper Wars 3, however, was a bigger success than the original. The direct sequel, Troper Wars 4, wasn't nearly as well received as Troper Wars 3 or Troper Wars, but Troper Wars 5...
- Averted: Troper Wars 2 is about as good as the original.
- Enforced: "Look, the fans will eat this stuff up. Just get it out there, and get it out there quickly and cheaply."
- Lampshaded: "This adventure seems off compared to last time."
- Invoked: Troper Wars 2 was intended to flop.
- Exploited: The developers of Journey of Trope hope Troper Wars 2 flops so their Dueling Movie will get better relative press that year.
- Defied: 2's production team is determined to make a film with the same heart as the original.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Wow, the fans were right when they said the movies have dropped in quality since the last one."
- Implied: Someone who made the original Troper Wars doesn't talk about Troper Wars 2.
- Deconstructed: The much more negative reception of Troper Wars 2 causes the writer to quit.
- Reconstructed: The writer learns from the mistakes s/he made on Troper Wars 2 and fixes it for his/her next work.
Back to Sequelitis