: The use of animal species that are not commonly seen in fiction.
- Strait: In a World of Funny Animals The main character is Hogan the Collared Peccary
- Exaggerated: There's Hogan the Peccary, Gladys the Capybara, Norbert the Narwhal, Polly the Petrel, and many other seldom seen species.
- Downplayed: The main character is Hogan the Koala.
- Justified: The animals are owned by Bob, who collects exotic animals.
- Inverted: There's Hogan the Cat, Gladys the Dog, Norbert the Horse, and Polly the Cow.
- Subverted: Hogan is actually a pig that looks like a peccary.
- Double Subverted: More specifically, Hogan is a pygmy hog.
- Parodied: A zoologist encounters Hogan and isn't sure what he is.
- Zig Zagged: Hogan is a pygmy hog disguised as a peccary. Later a Quentin the Quoll is introduced.
- Averted: All of the animals in the story are familiar to the average viewer.
- Enforced: The writers want to educate the viewers about zoology.
- Lampshaded: "I've never heard of a peccary before."
- Invoked: A zookeeper buys peccaries to make his zoo more interesting.
- Exploited: A zoologist uses the opportunity to collect data on little-known species.
- Defied: Hogan tells everyone he's a pig to avoid confusion.
- Discussed: "I wonder what kind of weird animals we'll meet."
- Conversed: "Why does this show have such weird animals?"
Back to Seldom Seen Species