Playing With: Second Coming
: The person in this trope is one who promises to return to bring a deliverance to his people and eventually fulfills it at a later date, validating the faith of those who were expecting his return.
- Straight: Jacob sets off on a journey, promising to return to his people to deliver them from a Fate Worse Than Death at a later date, and eventually does return to accomplish the deliverance.
- Exaggerated: Jacob returns with a grand parade of musicians and worshipers.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: ???
- Inverted: The people set off on a journey, promising to return to Jacob to deliver him from a Fate Worse Than Death at a later date, and eventually do return to accomplish the deliverance.
- Jacob sets off on a journey, promising to return to his people to deliver them from a Fate Worse Than Death at a later date, but he does not return to accomplish the deliverance.
- Or he does return and does not provide deliverance to his people.
- Even worse, he destroys his own people rather than let the Fate Worse Than Death take care of them.
- Double Subverted:
- However, somebody whom Jacob met along the way who resembles him in various particulars knows about the plight and accomplishes what Jacob failed to do.
- Or that person may simply come in Jacob's place without knowing the particulars of Jacob's journey and provides the deliverance anyway.
- Jacob may be reincarnated in some fashion due to death along the journey.
- Someone from among the people may provide the deliverance that Jacob does not deliver upon his return.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Jacob does not set out on any journey to come back at a later date to provide deliverance.
- Enforced: People who believe in the religion of Jacob may not provide support for the religion if Jacob does not return to provide deliverance.
- Lampshaded: "Man, what a miraculous deliverance! This is like the second coming of Jacob!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Jacob knows that his return will provide deliverance to his people and tries not to return for some reason.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Second Coming