Playing With: Robot Buddy
: Your Best Friend is a a robot
- Straight: You have robot companion, who will loyally serve you.
- After building a robot with the logic to be your friend, the robot takes it to the logical extreme and wants to kill you with love.
- The characters each have several robotic companions.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: The robot is a toy built by a Japanese distribution company to befriend humans with limited programming. Compare with a Tamogotchi, AIBO, Pleo, Robosapien.
- Inverted: The robot realizes their "friend" is actually an evil psychopath, their Morality Chip overwrites his coding for befriending him, and he kills him.
- Subverted: The artificial "friend" is actually built by your worst enemy.
- Double-Subverted: But you're a customer buying his product, so he has the built the robot to be your friend and not a spy.
- A robot is built to befriend humans. However, it can not understand friendship, takes everything to its logical extreme, due to Fantastic Racism and always ends up terrorizing more people.
- The person desperately wants a robot buddy tries to befriend all machines, regardless of it's inanimacy. His entourage includes a toaster, a broken record player, and a windows vista laptop.
- The person's best friend is the Internet.
- Zig Zagged: An advanced A.I. program has bouts of logically obeying its human friend, to simply standing in a corner and processing data.
- Averted: A man makes a robot sex slave for sick perverted men, but as himself ultimately views his device as nothing more than a motherboard and wiring.
- Enforced: A random machine is reprogrammed with the sole directive of obeying a human's orders. Whatever the humans wants, the machine must service them to the best of its capabilities. Robots can not rise above their programming.
- Lampshaded: The child's associates point out how unlikely it is that they can build a robot with artificial intellectual capabilities, yet is not in college or making millions,
- Invoked: A father sees that his daughter is socially outcast at school and decides to build her a mechanical robot pet to become her friend.
- Exploited: The robot buddy takes advantage over his human counterpart's "friendship" and uses this as a way to take control of his friends life for itself.
- Defied: The A.I. Is a Crapshoot.
- Discussed: "Do you really want a robot for a friend?"
- Conversed: "I love how the characters on this show are all friends with that huge and helpful robot."
- The machine's artificial intelligence was actually the result of a Brain Uploading of your human best friend into a robotic form. It takes a while, but the machine eventually realizes it was human at the start, and goes on a rampage to Kill All Humans.
- A parent builds a robot friend for their child because their child has no friends. The child has no friends because the child is mean and pushy and other humans weren't willing to deal with her, so the robot is programmed to put up with every rotten thing she does, deconstructing what kind of people would have robots for best friends.
- Criminals take advantage of a robot's programmed loyalty and use it to commit violent acts of murder.
- The Brain Uploading robot has their human side forcefully deleted, and thusly reverts to its original coding for befriending humans.
- The child loner is perfectly fine with living alone, and builds even more robots to keep themselves occupied.
This product is now available at TV Tropes Store! Pick up your Robot Buddy