Playing With: Rescued from the Scrappy Heap
: A character who was previously disliked by the public
gets rewritten in a way that it becomes likable.
- Straight: Prince Raphael is a Jerk Sue Rich Bitch who uses his authority to force his Love Interest Elise to play Extreme Doormat — and yet is supposed to be one of the good guys because he's not as corrupt as his peers. This doesn't go over well with fans. Thus, Raphael has a Heel Realization when faced with evidence that he's Not So Different from his peers, and works to improve and prove himself worthy of Elise's affection.
- Downplayed: Raphael becomes slightly more likeable, but remains the least popular character.
- Justified: Raphael has actively attempted to improve his personality.
- Inverted: A character who is very liked becomes The Scrappy.
- Prince Raphael is abruptly killed by a political rival in an assassination attempt; Elise's reaction is heartbreaking.
- The author seems to making attempts to round out Raphael's character... but winds up tacking a bunch of Informed Attributes onto him and turning him into an even more annoying Mary Sue
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Prince Raphael is shown sneaking off to a fan convention to ask how to improve the "Prince Raphael" character.
- Zig Zagged: Raphael goes through Character Development and seems to become a better character, but then returns to his original characterization in the next episode . . . only for the next one to treat him with his improved character again.
- Enforced: "Look, the fans hate Raphael and it's hurting our ratings! If you won't kill him off, at least make him more likable!"
- Lampshaded: "You know, ever since Raphael survived that assassination attempt, he's become a lot more humble and good, don't you think?"
- Invoked: Raphael discovers that he isn't very well liked, and resolves to change himself to improve his reputation.
- Exploited: ???
- Raphael is given the opportunity to change and become a more likable person, but absolutely refuses to take advantage of it.
- Raphael is killed off before he is liked by the fanbase.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "I used to hate this character, but the show's writers appear to have saved him."
- Plotted A Good Waste: Raphael's fall from grace and having to build himself back up was planned from the start; he was deliberately established as an annoying person early on so that his Character Development would have more resonance.
- Deconstructed: Though Raphael goes through Character Development and becomes a much better, more liked person, the very vocal Fan Dumb refuses to recognize this and continues to bay for his blood. Eventually, the writers listen and kill him off, much to the dismay of those who actually liked his character arc. This becomes a Base Breaker.
- Reconstructed: Despite the vocal Fan Dumb, Raphael's Character Development is recognized by the majority of fans and helps to redeem him for his past Jerkassery that annoyed his fans.
- Played For Laughs: Raphael goes from the rebellion's Jerkassy contact in the court to a lowly Butt Monkey just now learning his way around a sword, with everyone he mocked before taking advantage of this to get a little good-spirited revenge in.
- Played For Drama: Raphael's poor treatment of Elise was having a major effect on her self-confidence, so she broke up with him; after his Character Development kicks in, he tries to win her back from Bentley, causing stress within the team (and Die for Our Ship in fandom). There's also the fact that Raphael, for all his flaws, was the rebellion's only hope of reforming the system from within; his fall from grace effectively cuts off that option, making further conflict all but unavoidable.
Back to Rescued from the Scrappy Heap