Playing With: Rape as Drama
Basic Trope: A character is raped for the sake of the plot.
Back to Rape as Drama
- Straight: Alice is walking home late one night and is raped by a bunch of thugs. Alice has to come to terms with what happened.
- When those guys leave her, Alice gets up and tries to make it home (or to the hospital), and another gang rapes her.
- Bob gets raped at knifepoint by Carol. He contracts an STI and suffers the normal angst of a rape victim, complete with blaming himself for the assault, feelings of shame, and even PTSD. On top of that, his problems go untreated and most people even ridicule him because "he's a man and thus can't get raped" and "if he really was raped by someone like Carol, that's pathetic". When Carol finds out about this, she decides to exploit it by raping Bob repeatedly. Poor, poor Bob.
- All the main characters get kidnapped, then raped repeatedly.
- Downplayed: Alice suffers an Attempted Rape.
- Alice is the victim on a Cop Show about detectives who specialize in dealing with sex crimes
- Alice has been led to believe that what she was wearing, where she was going, what she was doing, etc. brought on the rape, and that being raped was karmic retribution.
- Rape is a traumatic experience.
- This is a auto/biography about Alice's life that is too important to be left out.
- The plot is "Alice gets raped and deals with the aftermath." Though given that this is probably also a Lifetime Original Movie...
- Alice is raped. There's no effect or follow-up to this event in the story afterward.
- Alice is the rapist.
- Alice herself was not raped, but a close friend or sibling of hers was, and Alice attempts (successfully or otherwise) to help her friend through emotional support and/or a Roaring Rampage of Revenge on the rapist(s).
- Subverted: Alice gets up, makes her way home or to the ER, and gets on with her life.
- Double Subverted: As soon as she gets home, Alice cries, takes a Shower of Angst and scrubs herself obsessively, and/or attempts to kill herself
- Parodied: Black Comedy Rape
- Zig Zagged: Alice is conflicted; rationally she knows it wasn't her fault, that no man worth his salt will reject her for that, etc., but can't help but have these feelings about the attack.
- Alice does not get raped.
- The thugs attempt to rape Alice, but she fights them off or is rescued by someone before that can happen.
- Enforced: Rape as Backstory
- Invoked: Somebody with a chip on his/her shoulder (either towards Alice specifically or towards women in general) rapes Alice, hoping to make her suffer for whatever wrong(s) she committed (or the rapist thinks she committed.)
- Exploited: Betty, who has a lot of grudges toward Alice, pay some thugs to rape the latter. She secretly tapes the, uh, incident from a hiding place and then use the tape to ruin Alice's life.
- Discussed: "Alice sure is having a hard time after what happened to her..."
- Conversed: "Well, she was just violently attacked and forced to have sex with men she didn't want to have sex with. Of course she's going to have a tough time dealing with that...anyone would!"
- Deconstructed: Alice feels ashamed, worries that no man will want her (or that her current partner will leave her), thinks it was her fault, etc.
- Reconstructed: Alice gets some help, and realizes it wasn't her fault (regardless of what she was wearing/not wearing, where she was, etc.), and is eventually able to lead a normal life.
Back to Rape as Drama