Playing With: Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil
: Rape is considered the worst crime one can do.
- Straight: Emperor Evulz has killed a few innocent civilians, but that one time he raped a woman is his Moral Event Horizon.
- Emperor Evulz has blown up several galaxies and inflicted And I Must Scream on an entire planet's population, but the time he raped a woman is considered the worst crime he has ever done.
- Emperor Evulz has killed a few innocent civilians, but the time he slept with a woman drunk off her ass, he's considered to have crossed the Moral Event Horizon.
- Emperor Evulz has tortured and killed some innocents, but the time he slept with Alice, a sex slave that Evulz believed was a willing prostitute, is considered his Moral Event Horizon.
- Downplayed: The punishment for murder is 20 years in prison, and the punishment for raping someone is 21 years in prison.
- Justified: Several people consider rape to be a Fate Worse Than Death, so the punishment is greater than the one for murder.
- Rape is considered to be heroic.
- While fighting Depraved Bisexual Bob, Alice is defeated. She asks Bob: "Are you going to rape me now?" The response Bob gives her is, "You wish", to show that Alice is in deep trouble.
- Rape is so common, it's not really considered "special".
- Bob raped someone in his backstory, but he feels deeply remorseful over it. He turns himself in, and when he gets out he speeds the rest of his life repenting. In other words, deity being a rapist, Bob didn't cross the Moral Event Horizen.
- Double Subverted:
- Just because it happens often, doesn't make it any less evil.
- Bob is only good because he repented. Other rapists who never felt any guilt are viewed as scum of the earth.
- The Super Hero team is trying to stop Doctor Destructo's Planet Exploder Ray, but stop in order to arrest a rapist instead.
- Emperor Evulz does some terrible things on a daily basis, but the moment he sees a mook looking at a woman longingly, he reacts with horror because he thinks his mook will rape her.
- Zig Zagged: Emperor Evulz rapes a captive woman and that event is what cements his reputation as a monster, but due to Blue and Orange Morality, Emperor Evulz and his Empire genuinely think it's a heroic act and celebrate the rape, but the victim doesn't feel that way and tells Emperor Evulz so, at which point Emperor Evulz wonders if it is evil, but then shrugs and continues to rape her because Evil Feels Good until she starts to accept it as normal and not "special" at all....
- The villain committing an act of rape is treated as evil and morally reprehensible, but no more or less so than the numerous acts of murder and torture they had previously engaged in.
- Rape is considered to be morally reprehensible, but less so than murder; perhaps a reasonable position given that some rape victims are eventually able to recover and return to normal lives, but a murder victim will never recover from being dead.
- The writer feels that this trope is a bit overdone, and seeks to subvert it by having a character commit a rape and then be portrayed as sympathetic later. However, his editor believes that this will cause a backlash from readers and Moral Guardians everywhere, and thus "strongly encourages" the writer to change the story so that the rapist dies a painful death.
- The author or a friend/family member of his/hers is a rape victim
- Two random mooks are preparing to violently rape a woman in an alley. One looks at the other and says "Isn't it weird how, even though the psychopath we're working for is going to blow up the earth, we're still seen as more monstrous because of stuff like this?" His friend agrees, just in time for the hero to swoop in and violently execute them.
- Emperor Evulz is an All-Loving Hero, who has cured cancer and established world peace. The second people learn he raped someone, he is considered a monster by the world.
- Exploited: A Dangerously Genre Savvy villain looking to make the hero with a Thou Shalt Not Kill rule defy his principles and knowing that Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil, allows his mooks or his Psycho for Hire to rape his Love Interest or child in the hopes that this will drive the hero into a murderous rage.
- Defied: The hero, despite being devastated and hating the Dangerously Genre Savvy villain with every fiber of his being, realizes what the villain was attempting and maintains his Thou Shalt Not Kill rule by restraining himself and carting the flabbergasted villain off to jail. He then thanks The Powers That Be that, even though the event was traumatic and will take a long time to help them through it, his Love Interest and/or child are still alive.
- Discussed: "Hmmm... I'm bored with kicking puppies. How about we go the next level and rape?"
- Conversed: "Wow... That kind of evil is above and beyond!"
- Deconstructed: Because rape is considered worse than anything else, only rape is eventually considered a crime in the setting. Which means that killing people, Cold-Blooded Torture, genocide, killing children, starving people to death etc. is considered perfectly acceptable as long as there's no rape involved.
- Reconstructed: People become more reasonable and, even though rape is still a revolting crime, it's not placed higher on the evilness scale than crimes that are just as bad or worse.
Back to Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil